new chickens

urbanfarmer14

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2015
minnesota
Is there anything I need to know about barred rocks, Rhode island reds, australorps, americaunas, silver laced wyandottes, or black sex links?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
What would you like to know about them? They are good layers. You can check the breeds forum above, to read about them.

Is there anything I need to know about barred rocks, Rhode island reds, australorps, americaunas, silver laced wyandottes, or black sex links?
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of those breeds over the past 50 years and they're great breeds with only a few negatives. I'm sure you can find plenty of varying opinions on them from other BYC members, but here is the list based on my own personal experience:

Rhode Island Reds: They can sometimes be aggressive, particularly hatchery quality RIRs, they can also be quite loud.
Australorps: No negatives here (of course there can always be an exception with any breed)
Americaunas: Unless you get them from a breeder, these will be Easter Egger hybrids rather than true Ameraucanas. Since they are hybrids bred by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers, their temperament can vary depending on which breeds were used in the crosses.
Silver Laced Wyandottes: Very few negatives here although I have occasionally had an aggressive one.
Black Sex Links: The best layers on your list (egg laying machines), but while very friendly, they can at times be quite loud.

Of course this list is only the negatives which you asked for. There are many positives about all of these breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Michael. I haven't raised any of those breeds within my own flock but I do have experience with some of them.

Australorps-Great overall breed. Hardy in most climates, great layers, good personalties and great foragers.
Wyandottes-Similar to australorps. Although they tend to be a bit more on the aggressive/bossy side. (At least the ones I've known.)
Barred Rocks-VERY curious! They'll investigate everything!
Rhode Island Reds-I was going to get some of these but my grandma talked me out of it because I wanted affectionate birds. RIRs tend to be aggressive. But they are GREAT layers!

Back
Top Bottom