New Chickie Questions!

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
The post office called at 6:30am!!! My new chicks arrived this morning! After dealing with a bad respitory issue with my last flock, and huge cleaning and restarting, they are finally here!!!

Gosh i feel like such a newbie again! Im doing it differently this time, they are in the coop, in a big galvanized horse trough with a heat lamp. BUt im curious, if the temp is above 90 in the coop (im keeping the door closed to keep the breeze out, the window is open for vent.) can i turn off the lamp?

I will need to post some pics later this afternoon, I can tell what is what from what i ordered, but i did get an extra!

smile.png

I would think that you would be alright, but the chicks themselves would be your best indication of the correct temp. If you watch them and they all huddle together, you will know that they are chilly. If they are all spread out, they are good. If they are at the edges of the tub close to the wall looking like they are trying to get out, they are too warm. Of course at night it is still dipping down into the 50's-60's so they will need the heat lamp. Raising any kind of animal is a learning and it's great to watch our lessons turn into victories with our new babies! Can't wait to see pictures!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom