1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chickie's First...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I just gave my chickies their first meal worms today. They went completely NUTS (after they determined that the worms weren't going to kill them). It was sooo funny! Salsa, our little Hamburg, figured it out first and started doing a whirling durvish through the brooder shreeking all the way! Then the others figured it out and chaos reined!

So, who else has had a 'first' today with their fuzz butts?

[​IMG]

2. Lawnman127

Lawnman127 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    How old are they?

3. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I tried some scrambled eggs today, but my 11 day olds weren't interested. [​IMG]

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I put in a frisbee filled with gravel in the brooder. Pure insanity! They went crazy. [​IMG]:weee:weee

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Oooh, meal worms. Haven t seen those since my sugar glider days! How fun. Yes, how old are they? I want to know when I can begin giving mine treats.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:2 are three weeks and 2 are two weeks. They have chick grit and are doing great!

Edit to add: I should note I got them the 'small' meal worms. None were longer than half an inch or so and there were a few punny ones that were maybe a quarter inch.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    sounds like a good time. i can't wait for mine:)

8. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

They love crickets, too! It's a little brutal, but I think good training for future foraging for grasshoppers and whatnot...

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'm hitting them with the crickets in another week or two. I want to make sure they're a little better coordinated before I let loose snacks that can actually move relatively speedily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by