New Chicks - a few general questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NDASD, Sep 28, 2011.

1. NDASD

NDASD New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    Hi, i am new to chickens - i have two adults and one went broody very soon after getting them so we decided to let her sit on some fertilised eggs and 3 out of the 6 hatched 3 weeks ago and are doing very well.

We seperated our two older girls prior to the chicks hatching - when can i re introduce them?

When can i tell if the chicks are boys or girls? i think one is a boy already as it has a reder crest and is slightly bigger.

If they are boys, how to people tend to get rid of them as i dont want to keep a cockeril in an urban evironment but i dont really want to kill them either.

When will the 'mum' start to lay again?

Thanks for your help, im sure ill have more questions soon!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I let my broodies raise theirs in with the flock. She's probably about to quit parenting, though, so would not protect them -- therefore I'd keep the chicks separate until they are about the same size as the adults.

You might want to look around in our forum, What Breed or Gender is This? There is not a short, simple answer to this, other than, when they crow or lay.

Usually a week or so after she kicks the kids out (pecks them, makes them leave her alone, leaves them alone) and returns to the flock. Since you separated them you will just have to watch for this.

3. NDASD

NDASD New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    I i thought i had to seperate them, thats useful info for the next time! thank you.

They are a cross between a black rock and welsummer.

Thanks for your help, any more general advice always appreciated thank -you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by