new chicks and 4 week old chicks... okay?

southphoenixchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
I had a group of chicks all about the same age growing up together and then lost my two welsummers... so I just bought three gold laced wyandottes to replace the welsummers. The problem is I have five chicks at four weeks now and three at 2 days old... if I put them together will the 4 week old chicks try to kill the 2 day old chicks? I know hens would kill the chicks but since they are all still young would it be okay?

I don't know but will be watching this thread to find out what others have to say as I am in similar situation. I ordered some hatching eggs that should arrive next week and meanwhile today I found a new little chick in my coop. If any of my eggs hatch the chicks will be about 4 weeks apart same as yours, and hopefully it will be fine to raise them all together.

I have chicks that are three weeks apart and the older ones would not accept the babies. I put them in a pen where they could see each other for about 6 weeks. When my coop was finished I put the little ones in first, then the older ones in. They have accepted each other, but my older chicks won't let the younger ones come out the chicken door into the pen. When they come out they are chased back inside after a few minutes.

When I got my younger chicks they were all the same age, but from two different places. I got 3 of them first (at a week old) and then a week later I got seven more. They all accepted each other right away with no issues.

I think one or two weeks difference might be ok, three weeks is pushing it but it depends on your chicks personalities. I have one of my older roo's that has been dominant from day 1.

It depends on the babies. I put 2 day olds in successfully with my 2 week olds, but 2 days - 1 month is a big jump. You'll have to be careful. What I did was turn off the lights. All of them, even the heat lamp. I put in the new babies while it was dark and started banging and making loud noises when I turned on the lights. I don't think it was necessary for mine, they hardly even noticed there were new guys.

I'd say try it. Watch them carefully though, because they could do some serious damage to the new babies. Put them in when you will have plenty of time to watch them. They might except them with open wings, and they might not.

I have had luck mixing chicks up to about 3 weeks difference in age. I personally think 4 weeks is too much of a difference.I suggest keeping the younger ones separate for a few days to let them grow. When the younger ones are about a week old then you might try putting them together and watch them carefully for a couple of hours. Just my opinion and experience with 3 week difference in chick age.

The one hope I have for mixing them is that up until a week ago they had a real little welsummer in with them with no problem. In fact they frequently would take turns keeping her warm. I don't know what went wrong with my two welsummers but they were 2 days old when I got my barred rocks (same store) and the barred rocks were 1 week old and the difference was night and day. The rocks grew huge very fast (already at 4 wks they take two hands to handle them), but the welsummers stayed tiny. They just never seemed real healthy but the rocks would sit with the welsummer sandwiched between them or even with them under their wings. It was sweet. Sadly though about a week ago I went out to find them sitting on the welsummer and I thought I was rescuing her, but she was cold to the touch, I moved her inside and had her near the heater in my hand and she died. I'd lost the other welsummer almost two weeks ago, so I think it really wasn't the rocks fault but just the welsummers weren't strong and healthy. I won't be buying from that store ever again. So in a way they have experience with little chicks... however now my 4 wk old chicks are spending the day (it's 80 outside for the high) outside, and the new girls couldn't do that. So what would be happening would be, the wyandottes and the 4wk old rocks, and black sex links would be bunking together at night, and separate during the day... I almost wonder if that would make it easier or harder?

That's still hopeful for me. I was afraid I'd have to keep them separated longer than that. Maybe if I keep them separated until these ones are a week or two... and put them together... (still keeping and eye but maybe not having to have them blocked off from each other). That would be nice... I've been talking to my husband trying to figure out how to separate the chicks in the run once they are all old enough to be out there if they can't brood together. Plus how we are going to build a second brooder... at the moment the 2 day old chicks are in a rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp on them, and a spare waterer I had, and the other chicks feeder since I've moved them outside during the day and they are eating now out of the big feeder in the run during the day and I don't worry about leaving them feed in the brooder since they are only there at night.

Back
Top Bottom