New Chicks and Brooder * Pic Heavy

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I just hatched 14 mutt chicks and one Midget White turkey. The chick’s father is a Speckled Sussex/Delaware cross and most of the mothers are crosses from that SS rooster and Black Australorp or Buff Orpington hens. Three hatched from my green egg laying red EE.
22249_all_in_incubator.jpg
22249_box_shot.jpg
22249_turkey.jpg

I set this brooder up for them. The brooder is 3’ x 5’ x 2’ tall. The sides and top are 1” hardwire cloth with a ½” hardwire cloth floor, help together with J-clips. I do not use any bedding in it. The poop falls straight through to the floor. I rake it out underneath as necessary, but that is really not very often. The draft guard around it goes to the ground and folds under and goes about a foot high around it. I built that chimney-like thing on top to protect the heat lamp from the adult chickens. I had to turn the heat lamp off to get this photo. Otherwise the glare makes it hard to see anything. The heat lamp keeps the area right under it warm, but the far corners are about the temperature in the rest of the coop, about 60 degrees today. Within an hour of putting them in the brooder, they are roaming around and exploring some.
22249_brooder_1.jpg

This is for them to play on. You can imagine how long I struggled over the design, gathering just the right materials, and the pain I took to put it together just right. I did sand it to take away splinters.
22249_perch.jpg

I use this to water them. The wire helps prevent it from turning over, but it does not help keep it level. It is heavy wire carefully bent to fit just right around the plastic quart jar, then with a couple of lightweight wires going up to the top. I screwed a board into the supports for the waterer to set on and give it a sort of level solid base. Otherwise, the waterer will bounce around on the wire floor when they walk around when they are older and weigh more.
22249_waterer_wire.jpg

I use this to feed them initially, since you are supposed to sprinkle their food on the floor for the first couple of days. Since the wire floor stays extremely dry. I’ll leave this in so their poop builds up a bit so they can develop their Cocci immunity. In a couple of days, I’ll gather sand/dirt from the adult run and feed that to them to give them both grit and some Cocci protozoa. They’ll need access to their slightly damp poop for the following few weeks so they can develop that immunity.

22249_poop_board.jpg

And a couple of the chicks with interesting markings. I’m interested in how these grow out. These have to be from the SS/Delaware rooster and the SS/BA hens. I like mutts.
22249_black_spots.jpg
22249_black_bandit.jpg

Last edited:
One more time. They are not mutts. They are ancestrially challenged. Am I right Happy, huh? HUH???
rant.gif

Is that one of those incubators I hear tell of? I tried one of those one time. It set off a rash of broodies that has nearly driven me insane. Be careful using one of those things Ridge. They should come with warning labels.... "May cause excessive broodiness!"

Cute chicks. Nice brooder.
smile.png

Okay. Now I know. You are the brother I always wished for and never got.
big_smile.png

Great thread, so folks can see how to do things. It doesn't always have to be pretty, the poop will take care of pretty in a NY minute, anyway! Efficiency and function are key!

Love the chick trying to get back in the shell, I've had a few wish for that. Looking forward to pics as they grow, I have a mix I'm waiting on- DBH x barred green egg layer. Seems to be blue so far, but will be small and I'd love to see some barring come in.

Looking at pic #1, the chick on the left hand side - for just a split second there I thought you had hatched yourself a polish.
gig.gif

Quote:
I see what you mean, but I think you know I have chickens. They may be mutts, but they are chickens.

Quote:
I'm just glad I straightened that wire before I finished setting it up. There are some challenges with wire. They are in the let's-fly-across-the-brooder stage though, so fun house is not far off.

Back
Top Bottom