New chicks and my flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossome, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jossome

jossome Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Hello!

So I have 3 hens that are 5 months old, and I just got 2 new chicks, that are a week old. Obviously for now they are separate, the chicks are in the garage in a brooder, and the hens are in their coop. When and how do I introduce the 2 youngsters?

Thank you!!

2. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    well what I normally do if I raise chicks (normally I stick them under broody hens) I will introduce them when the chicks loose there down and have feathers and are big enough to kinda run and hide without getting lost but because its winter I would wait alittle longer if that's an option? I have never had a problem with like full force aggression just the occasional peck on the head here and there even with baby roosters as long as you put them in early the older roosters wont bother them but if your chickens get to aggressive If your coop is big enough you can every day put a little cage with the older chicks in it and over time they will get used to them. I hope this was helpful keep me informed I would LOVE to know how it goes!! GOOD LUCK!

3. Debstar1204

Debstar1204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Sydney , Australia
    I need some help please- I currently have 21 baby chicks oldest a week old. They are locked up inside a pen ( wooden house) every night and I open door to a run every morning so mum can take them out and scratch etc. the last 2 mornings I have found 1 chick with its insides coming out!! Like something has had a go at it I'm stumped as to how this can happen when they are locked up. Has anyone else heard of this? I don't want to loose anymore, what could it be, rats????
    I saw 2 tiny holes under the edge of the coop, which I have now blocked off. It wouldn't be mum or other chicks doing this would it??

Thank you[​IMG]

4. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    most deff it could be rats! I had a rat infestation when a man brought us hay with rats in it and they spread like wild fire they were killing chicks left and right and pigeons!!!!!! I would maybe set rat traps out beside the holes maybe that will catch the culprits! keep us updated!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by