New chicks, bloody poo

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
UGH. So, I purchased some chicks from this lady who orders from Ideal. She gave me the wrong thing and gave me Dorkings instead of EE's. So today I met up with her and switched them for the EE's. The chicks are now 3 1/2 weeks old now. So I have been watching them for the past hour, and they have bloody poo... all three of them. They aren't very active either. One of them didn't look good when I got her, but she has perked up a little bit since. I haven't introduced them to my other chickens. Does this sound like cocci? What do I need to do? I think I might have some meds at home, I"m out visiting my parents right now. They have all their feathers except for the ones on their head. Are they going to need the heat bulb still? I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to rig up 2 brooders.

Yes, you need to treat the flock ASAP with Corid.

I never had Cocci dealings, but I keep the medicine on hand.

I really wish you the best of luck. It's always best to wait 30 days before introducing due to infecting your flock with any disease.

Keep up with the cleaning of the poo. It spreads by the other chickens ingesting the poop. Separate the real sick ones right away. Treat everyone.

Last edited:
Do you know if the meds go b ad? Whatever I have it was a yellowish powder. I got it 3 years ago, do you think it is OK? Not sure if it is corid or the other stuff.

Minor problem... We're leaving for a week vacation in 27 days. I needed the chicks to all be out of my house by then. Is that not going to be enough time for them to be away from the others? Am I going to need a baby sitter? LOL

UGH, I'm so irritated right now. I need to email the lady back and tell her to medicate her birds too. WHich she probably will tell me I"m crazy and I don't know what I'm talking about... Like when I told her one of the dorkings is a rooster and showed her pictures and she didn't believe me. Let's hope this goes well!

I have a liquid. I'm sure it has a shelf life, but I have no idea how long. The powder I imagine would last longer, especially if it's not opened.

I personally would never buy from a "breeder" unless I was going to show them. I buy mine locally and I try to get them the day or a couple days after they are shipped.

I'm sure she knew she gave you sick chicks as you stated they didn't look well to begin with. It's hard to tell if they are telling the truth or not, this is another reason I buy through a local store, plus if I wanted a certain breed, they'd order it, which is real nice. They take roosters back and keep or resell them.

Buying from ideal hatchery is not cheap. The shipping price is expensive, maybe this is why she sold you sick chicks to profit or get her money back.

When ever we go on vacation, we have a sitter(my parents). They come over twice a day to let them in and out. I change my water daily too. I have a feeder that holds 50#'s of food my hubby built. It's best to get a sitter to change the water and to make sure they are alright.

I never had experience with cocci, but I'm sure they will be fine in a month. I just hope you don't lose any.

Good luck. I hope everything goes well. Cocci is everywhere in damp areas and we feed medicated feed to lessen the chances of an outbreak.

Last edited:
Well, I"m going to have a sitter anyways, but these will have to be kept separate and I"ll have them inside, and it just makes it more complicated for my neighbors. So I'll have to send them elsewhere I think.

SHe didn't originally sell me sick chicks. The box was mislabeled and she gave me the wrong chicks. SInce I just figured it out this past week that they were the wrong thing (I was stupid), she met up with me this weekend. I got the original chicks when they were just a few days old. Where we met in a parking lot, it was hard to really tell if anything was up with the chicks since we just passed them from box to box. I originally got them from her instead of the feed store because the feed store didn't have what I wanted and wouldn't have them until may 4th. And I wanted to make sure the chicks were fully feathered before I went on vacation and did the whole sitter thing. I didn't want to wait until the next order (June) becuase then I might not get eggs until next spring. Everything has been going great until this week when I realized that they weren't easter eggers. It is when the feathers started really coming in that I realized that they weren't the right thing, that and I think they were roosters.

Can't wait to get home and figure out if the meds I have are the right thing. If not, it is to the store I go in the morning! I am thinking it is something different.

Do you know if the meds go b ad? Whatever I have it was a yellowish powder. I got it 3 years ago, do you think it is OK? Not sure if it is corid or the other stuff.

Minor problem... We're leaving for a week vacation in 27 days. I needed the chicks to all be out of my house by then. Is that not going to be enough time for them to be away from the others? Am I going to need a baby sitter? LOL

UGH, I'm so irritated right now. I need to email the lady back and tell her to medicate her birds too. WHich she probably will tell me I"m crazy and I don't know what I'm talking about... Like when I told her one of the dorkings is a rooster and showed her pictures and she didn't believe me. Let's hope this goes well!
The powder you mentioned is most likely a sulfa based drug. I dont recommend using it. Sulfa based drugs treating cocci are harsh on their system. Besides it only gets rid of 2 types of the 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Corid treats all 9 types of cocci and it's not harsh. You still have time to get the corid and finish treating them before you go on vacation. Get the corid 9.6% liquid solution tomorrow at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Put the mixture in their waterer to drink. Dont add anything else to the mixture.

Last edited:
Thank you. They sell it at the feed store from a larger container and divvy it out, if I recall correctly from 3 years ago. Hopefully it is the 9.6% one.

I am remembering now, I think the powder stuff I got was for a different problem, when my hen that died had a problem and we thought it might be an infection of some sort.

thank you :)

Do you think sometimes the cocci comes in with grit? She told me that she just started giving them grit a few days ago. I wonder if it was contaiminated

Back
Top Bottom