New Chicks! Can I leave one alone for a week?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KaylaBird, Oct 11, 2013.

1. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    So I posted about this tacked onto another thread asking questions about introducing new hens to the flock, but this is a chick only question so I thought I would ask it here.

Our local feed store has some chicks right now. We are looking to get two new chicks to add to our flock of three. We were thinking of getting an americana for those beautiful eggs and then either a maran, a frizzle cochin, or a rhode island red. They have the later 3 right now but wont get in any americanas till next week. Would it be ok to get one now and another a week later? We heard its best to raise new chicks at least with one companion but we worry if we don't get one of the breeds they have now, by the time the americanas come in there will be none left. Its a silly worry but we would really like those particular breeds. Will a week alone be traumatizing? Should we just wait and get them together?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    I think it would be ok to get them a week apart. If it won't be quiet than you can put a stuffed animal in with it so it has a friend. also making dots on the walls so it can peck at them might keep it busy. Good luck[​IMG]

3. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Oh good idea with the stuffed animal. Wouldn't have thought about that. Thanks! I guess we'll be getting a new chick today then! I just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to cause major problems.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You could also get an extra chick or two and sell them later if you wind up with too many, pullets are usually easy to place. Always nice to have a back up in case of an accidental rooster or you lose a chick. A mirror in the brooder at chick level is also another good idea to keep the singles company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by