NEW CHICKS COLD

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I have some brand new chicks just out of the incubator. Put them in the brooder which is 3 ft by 2 ft large and only 4 chicks.
    I had one light bulb which was keeping the temp at 90 but they looked cold so i replaced it with a heating light.
    It is strong and very warm .I put my hand in it feels like the incubator temp was but may get hotter if you are in that spot for awhile
    I tryed to put it where they werent too hot and there is plenty of room to move away from it but are they smart enough at this age TO move away if it gets too hot?
    Thanks ahead for any repsonse.

2. So u keep them outside or inside?

3. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

No worries--they will move away if they are hot and there is a cooler place to go. And they will move toward the heat if they need to get warmer.

What's the temp at right under the lamp?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lay a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, under the lamp. If it is 95 or higher, just raise it up a few inches. You'll have to do this in a week or two or three anyhow.

Don't rely solely upon thermometers. Judge the chicks body language, It is far more accurate. If they huddle and pile under the lamp, they're cool, if they move away, they're warm, and for goodness sake, if they seem to stand, hold their wings out and pant? They're cookin' which is very dangerous. Thermometer are good for getting things "close" but nothing beats just gauging by the chicks themselves. Enjoy.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not "smart" so much as "instinct". At this age they'd go under momma when they get cold, so they'll move closer to a heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by