New Chicks coming

GAGE

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2010
GA
Right now in our brooder (xl dog crate) is four silkies (between 8 days and 14 days old), and 4 bo's (between 6 days and 12 days old), but we have 7 new chicks coming from MPC between tomorrow am and Thursday am. I ordered 3 welsummers (1 m/2 f), 1 ee f, 1 ba f, 1 ancona f, and 1 br f. I plan to add some treats to the brooder and just watch and hope that the adjustment of the new chicks goes smoothly. Any suggestions or comments???
The last chicks that I will be purchasing are going to be ready around the 20th, in which I will bring home 3 blrw's, and my plan on them and our bo's is to wait until I can accurately sex them and rehome all but a single hen from each kind, although I do not have a plan on getting rid of what roo silkies we may have yet because the family is attached to all four of them.
Construction begins on our 8x8 coop and 22x40 run next Monday, and if all goes well, I hope to have them in there new home and out of the mudroom by July 1, and when it is all said and done, our flock will consist of 1 welsummer roo, 2 welsummer hens, 1 bo hen, 1 br hen, 1 ba hen, 1 blrw hen, 1 ee hen, 1 ancona hen, and 4 mystery silkies. My hope is for some colorful chickens as well as eggs, and maybe adding a greenish egg layer to the bunch later.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Just watch them for the introduction. The older chicks are both from very mild mannered breeds anyway, so there is good hope for you.

Back
Top Bottom