New chicks dying! What is causing this??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GaLinemansWife, Jun 9, 2011.

1. GaLinemansWife

GaLinemansWife Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Dallas
    Hey all. Ok here is the story, a friend of mine sometimes gives her eggs to a friend to hatch in her large incubator. She had I believe 5 buff bantam cochins and one splash silkie to hatch Sunday and we picked them up Tuesday. I got the silkie and she kept the cochins. When I called her to tell her my silkie was worrying me because it was acting really lethargic she told me her cochins looked really bad as well. Well, this morning I emailed her again telling her it seems my silkie is getting worse and she told me three of the cochins died yesterday and she was about to go to the barn to check on the others. This is really unusual as the chicks she normally gets back from her friend are fine. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what could have happened? Could the temperature not have been right in the brooder before we got them that has caused them to be sick? This is so sad and will be my second silkie to die in a week if this one doesnt make it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by