new chicks...first time...what's wrong with this baby butt?

MandiB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
I am kind of in a panic. I got my babies yesterday...picked up from Ideal. I have been checking on them every few hours. So far, so good, until just now, the fourth time I've been in today.

This chick was fine, I've been checking everyone's bottom every time I go in for a visit. I thought it was pasty butt, but this did not come off with a damp paper towel. Its very definitely stuck. I didn't want to do anything other than try to wipe with the towel, but it just isn't budging and nothing is coming off on the towel. The chick pooped while she was being held, so that's working.

Any help? I'm worried that I might not fix her problem and then it could get worse! And i'd hope to know in case one of the others gets the same. This is not under her tail, it's lower. The picture is dark, I've tried to lighten it so you can see the thing hanging there amongst the damp fuzz. It's dark...if this was a dog or cat I'd think poo and just wash it off...but here i am unsure

I hope you can see it from the picture.

It's probably the umbilical stump or navel. Just let it dry up and it will fall off. Make sure the other chicks aren't pecking it.

If it is not on or around the chick's vent, then it is it's umbilical cord. My chicks from Ideal had little crusty umbilical stumps for a week or so. It's nothing to worry about, just leave it alone to dry and fall off. Sometimes pasty butt does stick really good, too.

Did you pick your chicks up at Ideal's offices, or did you have them shipped? I had my order last year shipped, but I'm going to pick my new ones up at Ideal in a few weeks. I am paranoid that I'm going to drive all the way out there only to find that they shipped them on accident!

Ok...I will wait and see if it falls off! It's definitely not the vent and it's stuck firm.

I did go to Cameron to Ideal's office on Main. There is a chicken on the building, so you can't miss it. It was a heck of a drive through the back roads using my GPS. I called in my order, and pickups are on Wednesday. I prepaid.

It's such a relief to get help here...thank you!

Back
Top Bottom