New chicks in coop with previous mite problems

ahoward

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Hello - We have not had hens on our property since October 2018. That group of hens had problems with mites for about a year, a year and a half prior.

Given it has been two winters (we live in Maine), about 1.5 years total since any hens have been here, is there any reason why I should not assume that there are no living mites in the coop? Anything else I can do to prevent mites this time? I have heard of whitewashing coop, appropriate dust baths, food supplements (maybe someone can share what they do for dustbaths - these hens will not be free range though we have a large run).

I totally cleaned out and washed the coop and this time am going to try the sand method.

- How deep of a layer of sand do you use? Do you mix in anything else, such as DE?
- Do you ever totally clean out the coop and remove all sand, and what do you do with the sand?
- Is sand ok for chicks?
- Do you have a dust bath area in your coop if you use sand? Or a dust bath area outside somewhere? I am thinking of using a kids turtle sandbox for a dust bath in their run.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom