New chicks in same brooder as 4 weeks old chicks??.. is it OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by todtrac, Jul 28, 2010.

1. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I have seven eggs incubating as one is pimping out this morning. I have four silkie chicks that are 4 weeks old also and still in the brooder. Can I house all of them together for a couple of weeks awaiting the older chicks to goto the coop? Or should I house the new borns in their own brooder?... Please Advise...

todtrac

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    They need a different brooder..we never put them together in more than a weeks age span when they are just hatched. The newbies are very small and will get bullied by the big ones or smothered real easy..even if they are bantams. Once they get up a few weeks and closer to the same size they can be together just fine.I often have younger large with older bantams because of the size differences.
    Oh they are pipping not pimping if anyone asks you about that [​IMG] now later on the roos may do some pimping depends on his moral character..oh wait he's a chicken he has none [​IMG]

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    With that much age difference, they will definitely need separate quarters for at least a couple of weeks.

4. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you for you words of wisdom on housing the different ages in different brooders but also for correcting me in my terminology.. [​IMG]

When do you believe I can move my older chicks to the coop?.. I live in Western PA and it has been very warm lately.

5. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Sorry, not laughing at you, but with you. When I read "pimping out" I just guffawed out loud. Can we change LOL for GOL???

6. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:I did the same thing! [​IMG]

Hubby actually looked at me and said what's so funny!

I have a 4'x4' brooder and I divided it down the center for this very reason.

I can't seem to shut down the incubator! O-well if people keep pre-ordering chicks, I'll keep hatching them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by