New chicks in the "Big Easy"/ Run Sub-straight

beckywarp

Hatching
6 Years
May 15, 2013
Hey guys,
Glad to be a member of BYC. I have used the website "unofficially" for years. I love all the GOOD advise that you guys post. my husband have been "hooked " for years on poultry. I am a licensed veterinary technician, my husband is a successful musician. Our kids are grown and out on their own. I'm originally from New Orleans, and we moved back to NOLa 3 years ago. Our landlord is a farm girl and it took no time to convince her we needed "Birds".
My husband built a coop and our chicks arrived a few days ago. 6 beautiful Lavender Orpingtons! They are abit skittish, but hopefully we will be able to socialize them soon. Can't wait to get them out and about.

One issue we do have. We had the soil tested in the yard and found high lead and zinc content there. We are having the old dirt taken out and new clean soil brought in. In the run itself we would like to have a sub-straight that drains well. I had heard a few ideas, sand, pea gravel, and mulch, but I hesitate because I tried some of these in the past and had birds ingest it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Becky Warpinski,CVT
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I wonder how much dirt you need to have removed, and how deep. The bad stuff can still leach in from the perimeters. If you garden maybe you can get away with container growing or high, raised gardens with good safe soil in them. Maybe some government info. is available

Back
Top Bottom