New chicks just arrived

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asaxton, Jun 12, 2009.

1. asaxton

asaxton In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Our new babies arrived this morning. They appear to all be doing great. I have introduced them to the food and they can't seem to get enough. Is it ok to leave the feeder in the brooder with them full time (besides for cleaning). The real question being whether or not they will overeat like a goldfish.

2. cassey40

cassey40 Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    beaufort, sc
    good luck with the new babies, I leave the feed in at all time's and they some to be doing great growning like weeds. I'm new at this so i hope i'm doing the right thing too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Featherwisp

Featherwisp Songster

May 18, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, just leave the feeder in with them all the time. They will eat when they want to. They wont eat themselves to death! [​IMG]

4. asaxton

asaxton In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    That's good to know. I understand that they didn't eat during the shipping. It just seems that they haven't stopped. LOL

5. Alyssandra

Alyssandra In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    snohomish, WA
    unless they are meat birds you leave the food all the time....with meat birds after they are a certain age you leave it 12 in 12 out (or atleast that is what I have read)

6. chirpchirp

chirpchirp In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    congrats! i *hopefully* get my chicks next week - they ship on monday! i hope i have the same good fortune of safe and healthy chicks:p

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I got mine today, too. They're finally quiet! They were starving and thirsty. Now that they've pigged out they're all sleeping.

Let them eat!

Where did you get yours from??

Laurie

8. asaxton

asaxton In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    I got mine from Stromberg's. I went to a chicken swap event at Tractor Supply and met a really nice gentlemen who had been raising Bantams for 70 yrs. He recommended them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: