1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks, meet old chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iwannachicken, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    I got three Austrolorp chicks to replace some hens I lost to the heat. What is the best way to introduce them to the two
    remaining Wyandottes? They are in an ark in the back yard so they don't really free range but they do have to share the
    space, upstairs and down.

Thanks!
    Karen

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    How old are your chicks? I would think the adults would kill the chicks. Wait until the chicks are older, then do the typical side by side/fence in between thing for some time, and then integrate. Do a search, I am sure there are others that have done this that might have more pointers. You are going to LOVE those australorps! So Pretty!

3. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Thanks for the reply! The chicks are about 6 weeks old. They are out growing their brooder and I don't have a good way to pen them up side by side.
    I have a wire crate I could put them in for the older girls to get used to, but I'd have to bring them back in at night. Would that work?

Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by