New chicks not getting along

hperry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
I incubated eggs and out of all of them only one hatched. I decided to order 5 other chicks in order to keep her company. The 5 new chicks (Buff Orpingtons) and the chick I hatched (not sure what breed) were born 4 days apart.

The oldest chick (Pip-the chick I hatched) does not seem to be getting along with her new sisters. She often pecks at their beaks and eyes and overall her behavior seems a little different, like she is more worried about what the others are doing than eating and exploring.

Is this because she bonded more with myself in the 4 days that she was alone in the brooder? Could it be the breed? I am not sure which breed she is as I got the egg from someone else and they gave me a mix of many types.

Thank you
Hannah

they generally will start a pecking order to state who is in charge. is there a big age difference?
does she eat first? explore first? usually if thats the case,, thats what is happening.
they know what to do and will figure things out quite nicely ..
as long as no bloods shed or nothing like that.. im sure they will all adapt in a few days..

someone in the coop has to take charge and usually thats the way it all happens..

we went through that as well, but after a few days it all settled down and they " the girls are all friends now:)

They are only 4 days apart. I did think that was what was going on so thank you for clarifying! She was in the brooder alone for 4 days and suddenly the new ones came in and started eating her food. I think you are right.

Thanks!
Hannah

If it continues to persist...you might try cooling them off by, well, cooling them off. Raise the heat lamp for a few hours and that will take the bite out of the territorial little cuss.

Okay that's interesting I will have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom