New chicks --- one not doing well

pdcttc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
I got my new chicks from MPC today. One died a couple hours after I put them in the brooder.
Another does not look well. It will get up and take a few steps-- them flop down again. When it walks it does not seem to extend it legs.
I have seen it eat, but has not drank anything except when i diped her beak a couple of times.
The other six are doing very well, running aroung eating, drinking and other chick stuff.

Is there anything I can do to help the weak one--or will she perk up overnight?

The one that died and the weak one are white leghorns, I have 1 more leghorn that seems to be doing well.

Hi and sorry to hear about your situation. I can relate all too well. I ordered from Cackle Hatchery and had a HORRIBLE experience...I don't recommend them at all. All of my chicks arrived alive, but struggling. I ended up losing half of them over the next day. I tried adding apple cider vinegar to the water and offering them hard-boiled egg crumbles. I think it really helped, but some were too bad off to recoup. I also went to Rural King and bought a vitamin pack that I added to their water...not with the apple cider vinegar...you'll need to alternate between the two. Also, a consistent warm temperature is crucial. Make sure that you dipped their beaks to start them drinking.

All the best to you!!!

Sorry to hear you have a problem w/ your new babies.

I had a chick in my order that had cloudy eyes the moment I took her out of the hatchery box. I watched her for a day & a half. She slept alot, and once she drink quite a bit; so I was hopeful. I went back an hour later and picked her up. The water she drank poured out into my hand. So, I looked at her bottom. It was crusty w/poop. I had read in a post here that they can get 'stopped up' and die a painful death.
She was so lethargic I felt there was nothing to loose.....I put warm water on her and removed the poop. Then I gently squeezed her little body on each side. Bubbles and air and poop came out.

I did it a second time, just to insure the darling was clear. More poop came out! I rinsed her bottom w/warm water and kissed her beak. She actually hung onto the metal 'bands' of the brooder lamp for warmth and to dry. I was scared, but knew I had done a good thing. She started eating within hours! She perked up by evening! I named her 'Norma Rea' for Sally Field's movie character years ago! She is 4 weeks now, smaller than everyone--but beautiful!

So, I say all that to say this!!!!Check their bottoms! After that episode w/Norma Rea, every time I saw dried poop on someone's butt---I pulled it off and checked them later.

The next day I happened to see little Norma Rea 'take a poop'!!! I was very happy! As any proud parent would be!

Back
Top Bottom