New chicks, outside and treats?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
My babies are a week old. When can I take them outside to graze in the grass? And when can/should I start giving treats?

What are the best treats? (I'm exhausted, I'll look up some posts on treats later) I am curious, though, what kind of yogurt? Can I feed flavored? Or do I need to stick to plain? I do not have access to organic yogurt right now, unfortunately, in the future I will have goats or a cow and make my own LOL. I have read the list of no-no foods, I'm already familiar with most of them as we've had a blue and gold macaw for five years, and it's pretty much the same stuff she can't have.

CountryFried -I took mine out after 5 days or so. They tried to dust bathe. It was really cute. Close supervision though. I was afraid they would get cold, so didn't keep them out long.
I need to look up the treat list myself.
Get some rest! Zzzzzz

I did the same as ironmaiden, let my group outside after 5-6 days. Supervision is key. At first I used a dog crate with the plastic bottom pulled out so they could scratch around, but they were safe in the cage. It was a huge size kennel. After that they graduated to the big girl pen around week and a half two week area. I free ranged them in the yard around 6-8 weeks old. (city urban backyard so not acreage or anything).

Treats... As long as they have grit
smile.png
My girls loved plain oats, ANY kind of meat like canned tuna ect, and they loved corn.
smile.png
I offered the meat bits and corn around 3 weeks - 4 weeks, and the oats I offered around 5-6 days
smile.png

At 2 weeks old they were getting oats, sesame seeds and kale (the kale they did not eat). They would scramble for any house flys I could catch. I also offered chick grit. Now, at 3 1/2 weeks, they love green peas, sunflower or pumpkin seeds and still more oats. All of which needs to be chopped up. My daughters call their treats their snack plate as thats what they get after school! Its too cold here to let them out without heat, but have been in their coop for 1 week now (thank goodness, as they were on the kitchen table). Good luck!

I let my 7 day old chicks out today for a bit for the first time. I put them in a small utility wagon (like what you hitch up to a riding lawn mower) that had a layer of leaves and pine straw in it. That way they were contained but still able to get some sun and fresh air. They were scared at first and sort of froze and peeped loudly but then they figured out they were ok and really loved scratching around and pecking in the leaves. They were not at all happy about going back in the brooder box in the shed. Its supposed to be in the upper 80's tomorrow so Im planning to let them out for a good long while.

Back
Top Bottom