New chicks owner - WA State

Wow, you jumped in to chicken "ranching" in a big way! First, where in WA are you located?
We have 14 mixed breeds with our favorites being Orpingtons and Easter Eggers. I don't see us having more than this even though raising chicks is pretty fun. Eggs were sort of a side benefit to having chickens. We got our first chicks March of '17 and have added 3 chicks twice since then. Now I would have to say that just having them as pets is our main pleasure.

We stay busy with the constant maintenance of 2.5 acres, fishing, shrimping, crabbing, protecting chickens during 2 hr free ranging sessions, table tennis, some golf, birding, r/c planes, and piddling at other activities. We are amazed at how much time we devote to the care of our flock but we are definitely on the side of spoiling our girls. We know of others that have virtually zero interaction with their birds and that is their choice.

So good luck and I
IMG_1282.JPG
have a difficult time understanding how you can run a business, have kids, AND still be able to have 25 chickens. Busy, busy, busy.

15hellloooii.gif

Hi all

My name is David and I am from WA state.

I will try to use this introduction points offered:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Friday will be 2 weeks since I purchase my first chicks, from a local co op in the area

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

25 chicks

(3) What breeds do you have?

Ameraucana 3
DORKING - SILVER GRAY 1
Rhode Island Red 3
Brabanter Gold 2
SILVER SPANGLED SPITZHAUBEN 1
Amberlink 2
Brahma Buff 2
Lakenvender 2
Black Austrolorp 2
Marans - Cuckoo 2
Marans Black Copper 2
Sapphire Gem 2

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

self sufficiency, kids enjoy it

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

fishing, hunting, board games, collectibles, too many

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I own a remodeling company kitchen & bath

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

google search - chickens forum

Looking forward to meet new people here.
smiley welcome 4.gif

Wow, you jumped in to chicken "ranching" in a big way! First, where in WA are you located?
We have 14 mixed breeds with our favorites being Orpingtons and Easter Eggers. I don't see us having more than this even though raising chicks is pretty fun. Eggs were sort of a side benefit to having chickens. We got our first chicks March of '17 and have added 3 chicks twice since then. Now I would have to say that just having them as pets is our main pleasure.

We stay busy with the constant maintenance of 2.5 acres, fishing, shrimping, crabbing, protecting chickens during 2 hr free ranging sessions, table tennis, some golf, birding, r/c planes, and piddling at other activities. We are amazed at how much time we devote to the care of our flock but we are definitely on the side of spoiling our girls. We know of others that have virtually zero interaction with their birds and that is their choice.

So good luck and IView attachment 2072172 have a difficult time understanding how you can run a business, have kids, AND still be able to have 25 chickens. Busy, busy, busy.

I live in Echo Lake area if you are familiar at all with that. I think you are in Whidbey Island area? based on what I see on your profile?

Quick update, picked up 3 cream leg bars :) so it's 28 chicks now, who knows might reach 30 soon at this pace

These days it's very easy to keep up with everything since work slowed down a lot.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, I think this is the friendliest forum I came across

Looking forward to learn more here, there's so much to learn

Back
Top Bottom