New chicks, ready for outside?

Dawn1058

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Confluence, PA
I got 32 chicks December 7th, they are in a watermelon crate in the basement without heat lamp anymore. I live in Southwest PA, it’s been a very mild winter so far. Can they go outside yet? If so, will they need heat again? Thanks

You may try to put them out with a mama heating pad although they may have a learning curve. Your next batch can go outside in the coop with an MHP immediately after hatching or receiving day old chick shipments.

If you build a heat pad and put them out make sure they learn to use it when needed. PA will almost certainly have an overnight freeze or two before they are done fully feathering out.

Don’t recommend heat lamp in the coop due to fire hazard.

You may try to put them out with a mama heating pad although they may have a learning curve. Your next batch can go outside in the coop with an MHP immediately after hatching or receiving day old chick shipments.

If you build a heat pad and put them out make sure they learn to use it when needed. PA will almost certainly have an overnight freeze or two before they are done fully feathering out.

Don’t recommend heat lamp in the coop due to fire hazard.

I have a large chick heating plate, do you recommend putting that with them?

Attachments

• A875A7C8-5955-4322-A001-19AA57A344FF.png
    A875A7C8-5955-4322-A001-19AA57A344FF.png
    819.4 KB · Views: 12
Someone else who’s used one and raised chicks should reply. To me - I bet it would work great but wait for an expert!

In PA I am guessing in the next 3 weeks you could have lows as low as 15 and highs in the 30-60 each day. If your chicks are using the heat pad when they are cold I don’t see why they can’t go out, especially with it being a little warmer right now and only colder than they can really handle at night when they’ll sleep in that device. In a couple weeks you’ll be done with the plate entirely. Getting them used to the outside temps now rather than throwing them outside in mid to late January is definitely better.

I got 32 chicks December 7th, they are in a watermelon crate in the basement without heat lamp anymore. I live in Southwest PA, it’s been a very mild winter so far. Can they go outside yet? If so, will they need heat again? Thanks
not without heat, They are too young. Do you have a coop outside with electricity? we keep ours cooped with heat lamps until 15 weeks and we live in Florida. North Florida

not without heat, They are too young. Do you have a coop outside with electricity? we keep ours cooped with heat lamps until 15 weeks and we live in Florida. North Florida

That seems extreme! And a downside of heat lamps vs the other styles. Chicks without heat lamps and use of an MHP are ready for sub freezing temps by 5-6 weeks old.

You are probably rightDoc7, it’s maybe extreme. I do let them free range during the day at 12 weeks. But I do have healthy, happy chicks. So it works for me. I feel like I can tell when they are cold.

Back
Top Bottom