New chicks to existing chicks...

atabby

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Jimboomba, Queensland, Australia
Just wanted to now if anyone had some advice for adding new 2 week old chicks to my existing flock of 1-2 week olds? The hatchery is replacing the chicks that we lost, but I'm a little nervous about adding them into the brooder. We have 2 silkies in there already who are about 3.5 weeks old, and the remaining 8 chicks are 1.5 weeks old. These new chicks are around 2 weeks old and there will be 3 of them (speckled sussex, australorp and plymouth rock).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would not put them together until they feather out and start to be closer in size. The older chicks are going to walk all over them and it would be a disaster. Younger chicks rest more and need to have space to stretch out and sleep and your older ones will be more active. I keep mine in two small bins from walmart side by side using the same heat lamp.
Caroline

I would not put them together until they feather out and start to be closer in size.  The older chicks are going to walk all over them and it would be a disaster.  Younger chicks rest more and need to have space to stretch out and sleep and your older ones will be more active.  I keep mine in two small bins from walmart side by side using the same heat lamp.
Caroline

I thought they might be better separate as well, but the silkies are just over 3 weeks and haven't been a problem - had them with day olds and they were actually quite protective.

The new chicks are only a few days older than my others (silkies are still the oldest) so thought it might be worth asking just in case anyone had added chicks in

Back
Top Bottom