New Chicks! What do I do?

Rogue

Chirping
16 Years
Apr 19, 2007
I have a black silikie that went broody, so I decided to let her have a few chicks. I have tried to incubate eggs with no success. I was so surprised and happy to see 2 chicks poking out from mom today (right on time!). What do I do now? Does mom take care of them? Do I need to provide them with chick starter? I live in Colorado and the temp is getting in the 30's at night. Help???

Mazel Tov! Mom will keep the chicks warm as long as they can get out of the weather and drafts. Give chick starter but don't be surprised when mama eats it too, she'll be OK. Keep mama and chicks away from the rest of the flock in a seperate pen until they are around 5 weeks old or so and can fend for themselves, baby chicks will get picked on by bigger ones. She knows what to do, so just feed them and watch them grow!

Mom will take care of them but you will have to provide the chicks with starter/grower and water..she can be on the starter/grower too, she won't be laying for a few weeks.......Do you have her in with your other hens?...a separate place or cage works best for awhile...she will keep them warm....

Thank you for the advice. I will go out in th morning and make sure they are seperate and safe from the other hens and the rooster.
smile.png

Just remember to keep the nest low to the ground so the babies don't have far to travel when they go to following mama. I'm sure you are already doing this, but sometimes the simple things are the easiest to forget. Congratualtions on your babies. Best of luck to you.

Yea, keep them seperate I already made this mistake a few weeks ago. I never thought that the grown chickens would kill her chicks but they did and I think they ate it. Congrats my friend !

Brian

Back
Top Bottom