New chicks with bloody stool and dying left and right.

browning6

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Winton, California
I have been hatching chicks for over a year now. And in the past once they hatch I loose very few. But the last month has been horrible.
The chicks hatch, and between 3 to 10 day later they get weak and die. Those that die get thin and lethargic. They stop growing and they get emaciated to where their heads look huge compared to their bodies. Then they die 2 days later.
If they survive past 2 weeks of age they typically live. And the hatchery chicks that I have bought seem to rarely die. Then today I noticed bloody stool in the brooders. I have lost about 30 % of my hatches in the past month.
Any ideas on disease and medications to use?

Do you used medicated feed? If not, this sounds like coccidiosis to me. Here are some links to help you decide if that's it or not. But it's very common.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

You can buy a coccidiostat over the counter in most places which should cure them.

If you don't vaccinate, used medicated feed. If you don't use medicated feed, vaccinate. Otherwise you'll continue to lose chicks to this common parasite.

I was using medicated feed. but i switched just a few weeks ago to unmedicated. The chicks started dying before the switch. I was afraid of creating a superbug that would be antibiotic resistant.

I will get some corrid today.

I was using medicated feed. but i switched just a few weeks ago to unmedicated. The chicks started dying before the switch. I was afraid of creating a superbug that would be antibiotic resistant.

I will get some corrid today.

Don't worry about creating a superbug. At this point you have the parasite around so you have to hit it fast and hard. Also, it's a parasite not a bacteria so the superbug concerns aren't quite the same in this situation.

That sounds a whole lot like Coccidiosis. That bug thrives in wet conditions, so try to get things as dry as you can. Make sure you change the water daily too. Change it, don’t just refill it if you have that type of waterer.

There are different strains of the parasite that causes Cocci. Some are stronger than others. Sounds like you have one of the strong ones.

The dosage of Amprolium in medicated feed will not cure Cocci and is not a surefire preventative. It allows some of the bugs to reproduce so the chick scan build up an immunity, but its main purpose is to limit how many of those parasites reproduce. A few present is not a problem, it’s when the numbers get out of hand that the problem occurs. They need a few bugs around so they can develop that immunity, which normally takes two to three weeks.

The dosage of Amprolium in Corid is meant as a treatment. That dosage is much higher than the dosage in medicated feed.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It will not destroy any probiotics they have. You have an emergency; chicks are dying. Getting Corid is a wise decision.

Personally I would not worry about feeding medicated feed and treating them with Corid. The differences in dosage is enough that the dosage in the medicated feed will be pretty irrelevant compared to the dosage in Corid. But if you are uncomfortable doing that, do as you will. It should not matter either way.

That sounds a whole lot like Coccidiosis. That bug thrives in wet conditions, so try to get things as dry as you can. Make sure you change the water daily too. Change it, don’t just refill it if you have that type of waterer.

There are different strains of the parasite that causes Cocci. Some are stronger than others. Sounds like you have one of the strong ones.

The dosage of Amprolium in medicated feed will not cure Cocci and is not a surefire preventative. It allows some of the bugs to reproduce so the chick scan build up an immunity, but its main purpose is to limit how many of those parasites reproduce. A few present is not a problem, it’s when the numbers get out of hand that the problem occurs. They need a few bugs around so they can develop that immunity, which normally takes two to three weeks.

The dosage of Amprolium in Corid is meant as a treatment. That dosage is much higher than the dosage in medicated feed.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It will not destroy any probiotics they have. You have an emergency; chicks are dying. Getting Corid is a wise decision.

Personally I would not worry about feeding medicated feed and treating them with Corid. The differences in dosage is enough that the dosage in the medicated feed will be pretty irrelevant compared to the dosage in Corid. But if you are uncomfortable doing that, do as you will. It should not matter either way.
x2

The concern with double dosing is related to a Cocci vaccination + medicated feed. That combination would be a problem.
Medicated feed + Corid is okay.
I hope the treatment gives you better results!

x2

The concern with double dosing is related to a Cocci vaccination + medicated feed. That combination would be a problem.
Medicated feed + Corid is okay.
I hope the treatment gives you better results!
Very true. You either feed medicated feed OR you vaccinate. Otherwise they cancel each other out.

But I agree, medicated feed + Corid would be fine since they are the same drug.

Back
Top Bottom