New chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Todd the chicken guy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Todd the chicken guy

Todd the chicken guy Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno
    I have some new friends... how long before they start laying some eggs?? My other chickens aren’t as excited as we were to welcome them to the family....My other girls love to hang out even when I BBQ ...well I won’t finish that....

Attached Files:

2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    Your bigger birds look mature enough to lay. The chicks will need to be approximately 6-8 months old depending on the breed. Different breeds mature at different rates. My serama often start laying at five months of age. My favorelle was about 10 months old before she started to lay,.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. Todd the chicken guy

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno
    Yes my big girls I’ve had for about 4 years and they crank out the eggs like an assembly line but I got them fully grown.. I got these cute little girls for my wife on mother’s day..I have almost competed their coop outside..just wondering when we could expect some eggs..they are only a couple months old so I wasn’t expecting any soon...thanks for your input...

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    they are cute! what breeds are they?
    Assuming they are both pullets, you'll be lucky to get any eggs from them before they are 5 months old, and you may have to wait considerably longer as that will coincide with shortening days...could be 2020 before they start. But if that happens, the excitement will be even greater than usual, because you'll have waited for so long!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Perris

6. Todd the chicken guy

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno
    One is a speckled Sussex and the golden one is an Orpington....they sure have a lot of personality!! And my big chickens are Delaware’s..they rule the whole roost ....

Perris likes this.
  7. Todd the chicken guy

Nov 27, 2017
    Reno
    They get to stretch their wings in the bunny’s zone

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: