new chicks

Mother of All

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Millbrook
OK I hatched 30 chicks (5 weeks ago) and all doing OK. Now for the first time I have new chicks (1 an hour ago) and one zipping now, with 5 more eggs under my hen. They are in the hen house with 28 other hens and one roo. Will the baby's be OK there or do I need to separate them. That is if the mother is a good mother with the baby's and the eggs. I prepared to remove the baby's to a boarder or the eggs to my incubator if need, but would really like to let mommy do it all. I know that it will be a staggered hatch up to 5 days or so. But again the question is will everyone else leave them alone or do I need to move mommy, baby's and eggs to a separate place. OOO by the way the nest is on the floor some what in the corner nearest to the door leading into the run.

I'm new to broody hens this year, and I've found that it's better to separate them to their own little space. I had a separate pen for the first batch, and I made a (approximately) 2' x 3' pen for the others.

24456_chick_pics_030_resize.jpg

24456_chickks_001.jpg

24456_chickks_003.jpg

24456_chickks_004.jpg

OK I moved all to the dog house. I put down bedding, gave them a feeder and water. I then put chicken wire across the front door. 4X4 dog house. It took two tries before mommy settled in.

thumbsup.gif
That sounds good! Are they within a secure run? If not, I would put hardware cloth rather than chicken wire across the door, to keep any predators out. You'd be surprised what shows up when the sounds of babies cheeping are heard. Momma hen might want to take them out, but don't give in...they'll be safe in there. I let my hen and chicks outside when they had fully feathered in (5 wks). We have feral cats, coons, and hawks in our neighborhood. Best of luck with your brood!

Quote:
I suppose the point is moot, but why do people not research broody hens and know what do do "before" she starts to hatch chicks? If you have not moved her at the start of brooding you should have decided whether she and the chicks will be ok. You could have just left her there. I've four hens hatch in the coop and no other hen or the roo harmed the chicks. If fact they seemed disinterested.
I now have one who has been moved to a broody pen because it was vacant. The others had to stay in the coop because there was no where else for them to set.
In the future have a set up ready and move her at the start not once the eggs begin to hatch.
Sorry if I seem harsh but perhaps someone else will see this and realize hens don't need your help. They can do it on their own. Unless you see a problem let them do their job.

Hope all works out
Rancher

I hope some one does see this BUT the only reason I moved them at the time I moved them were the three dogs that also live in my back yard with the 60 chickens 2 ducks 2 turkey and three cats that are living together. The dogs love the little ones so I make sure they are separate and save until fully grown. The dogs normally use the dog house but my second coop/run are full with the 30 5 week old chicks and turkeys so you take what you can. for learning in advance is one way but as long as you take care of things before it turns into a problem then you are doing good. In the mean time I still have a area set up to handle the eggs if need be and or the new chicks.

Now I know I seemed harsh and all but you have got to post pics of the event when the chicks hatch. OK?

I never knew chickens went broody so often and was unprepared. All the media said "oh don't let them hatch in the coop the others will kill the chicks". This was not my experience. Certainly it's best to seperate them as I had hens laying more eggs everytime the broody got up to take care of business leaving me to take the chicks as they hatched so the newest eggs had time. Not to mention I had chicks all over the place and no idea what they were except crosses. I finally ended up giving them away. They were'nt all that pretty either.

So Mom you 've got to let us know how things turn out.

Wishing you a sucessful hatch
Rancher

Back
Top Bottom