New Chicks

CowboyColby

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
I've never pictured myself as a chicken person as I have always been into cattle, horses, and dogs. Then my boss got his baby chicks delivered and I ordered some that day. (5 White leghorn pullets, 1 cockrel, 4 brown leghorn pullets, 2 cockrels, and 2 spanish heritage turkeys) I got them in this morning gave them food and introduced them to water. I never imagined some little chirping birds could have the effect they already have on me.

I know you guys talk about always buying more chickens and are constantly expanding and I knew that wasn't for me until yesterday when I ordered more before my first were even here yet. I ordered 5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Buff Brahama Bantam, 5 Black Sex Links, 2 more spanish turkeys, and 2 royal palm turkeys. Now I have tons of questions.

First a little background; I've never owned chickens, I fixed up our old chicken coop that hasn't been used in over 30 years at our farm house and placed my brooder in it using a little stocktank we had from way back when my sisters and I showed 4-H lambs. I've grown up on a farm/ranch all my life and so some of this comes naturally.

Questions:

When will I need to remove them from the "brooder" (sheep tank) to allow them all of the coop? Weeks? Guessing 5-6 from what I've read just looking for confirmation.

When can I allow them to free range outside around the farm? 3-4 months?

Will I need to eventually seperate the chickens from the turkeys?

Once my new batch of chicks arrive (will be in seperate brooder) when can i introduce them to my current birds?

I've read a ton on here and thank all of you for your opinions and valuable knowledge.

Last edited:
I am talking only about chickens. I do not know turkeys.

When will I need to remove them from the "brooder" (sheep tank) to allow them all of the coop? Weeks? Guessing 5-6 from what I've read just looking for confirmation.
Depends a bit on your coolest temperatures at night, but chicks are normally fully feathered out at 4 to 5 weeks of age. Most broody hens wean their chicks by this age and they survive. Your Brahmas may be a tad slower to feather out than the other chickens, but I'm comfortable at 5 weeks age.

When can I allow them to free range outside around the farm? 3-4 months?

The smaller they are, the more tempting a target for a hawk, so I usually wait they are 8 weeks old. Some people wait later, some go earlier. A personal decision.

Will I need to eventually seperate the chickens from the turkeys?

No, especially if you free range them.

Once my new batch of chicks arrive (will be in seperate brooder) when can i introduce them to my current birds?

That's a hard one. Different people get different results. I've never had two groups that close together so I'll leave that question to others.

Good luck!!

Thanks ridgerunner I appreciate your help
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom