new chicks

thebeastmode123

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hi all. We just ordered 6 chicks, 3 buff orphingtons,2 golden comets,and 1 rhode island red.we have a 4x8 chicken coop and I was wondering how often we would need to scoop the poop out. dont want them sitting in poop.:lol:
thanks

images

Welcome to BYC!

Some people do the deep litter method and just turn it over occasionally. I clean out the poop daily, although I am a clean freak! LOL Here is a thread on the deep litter method that you can read thru and even post questions should you need to ask...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method

It all depends on what type of litter you use. Your coop is pretty big and if they have access to a run, you could definitely get away with the deep litter method.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. As TwoCrows stated, you can use deep litter or clean it out every day. I use deep litter, mostly. But, I still change it about once every 6 months or so.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, it just depends on your set up and bedding. Also climate will make a difference, if it is dry you can get away with changing it less often than when it is wet outside.

i think we will clean it out once a week. we live in vermont where it snows in the winter. our bedding will be wood chips. plz tell me if i need to do anything else

Welcome to BYC - you will by trial and error find the method that works best for you. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom