New Chiken With Curled Foot

MamaHollyx3

Hatching
8 Years
May 10, 2011
I inherited six chickens from my daughters school a week ago. Unfortunately one of my dogs managed to jump the fence and chase down the smallest chicken in the group. She was limping for a few days but consistently getting better. Yesterday she seemed almost back to her old self, but now one foot is curled up and won't lay flat. She manages to move pretty good on it but I am worried she will over stress it so I have put her in a small cage by herself. I've examined the foot and leg and can't find any injury, swelling, or scab. I believe she is about a year old and quite small but is laying eggs. Any ideas what may be wrong and how I could help it? It does not seem to be bumblefoot as it is not showing any signs of infection.
Thanks,
Holly

Well, my little Cowen seems to be doing better. I am still not sure on what is the origin of the problem, but I started her on baby aspirin, electrolytes, multi-vits, and some special mash. I also made her a "boot" to keep her toes straight and not curled under. She seems to be doing much better tonight and even though she managed to get her boot off her toes were nice and extended.
Holly

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom