New chipmunks

ccrcash

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hi we just got new chipmunk striped chicks from the kid's teacher, wondering if you could tell me what breed and if possible, gender.

This guy has feathery legs and five toes

This guy has only four toes no feathers

This guy is more reddish again no feathers four toes

Thanks

Hi we just got new chipmunk striped chicks from the kid's teacher, wondering if you could tell me what breed and if possible, gender.

This guy has feathery legs and five toes: I'm thinking salmon faverolle for this one

This guy has only four toes no feathers: what color are the feet on these 2? They resemble brown leghorns. Here is a picture to compare.

This guy is more reddish again no feathers four toes

Thanks

I agree the first one is likely a Salmon Favorelle.

The next 2...hard to tell as there are many chipmunk chicks that look that way, and hatcheries don't always follow true to breed guidelines.

having said that:
Yellow legs should mean either Welsummer or Brown Leghorn as two of the most common (but there are others)
Pink/beige legs should mean Speckled Sussex...but again, there are many others.
Green legs will likely be an Easter Egger

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
We'll thank you we also have a black chick with black beak and legs + he us feathered on his legs. If you guys could tell me I'll post pictures later. Also, can I put these in with my month or so old australorps and buff orps.:)

Sorry the second and third one were the same chick. This guy has light chipmunk stripes but he's more red.

I agree the first one is likely a Salmon Favorelle.

The next 2...hard to tell as there are many chipmunk chicks that look that way, and hatcheries don't always follow true to breed guidelines.

having said that:
Yellow legs should mean either Welsummer or Brown Leghorn as two of the most common (but there are others)
Pink/beige legs should mean Speckled Sussex...but again, there are many others.
Green legs will likely be an Easter Egger

Lady of McCamley
I agree. You'll be able to tell the breed better when they're older.

I agree with everyone else. The five-toed bird is most likely a Salmon Faverolles but the chipmunk pattern is probably the most common chick pattern out there. Lots and lots of breeds look like this as chicks. Repost photos at about eight weeks old, when they have all true feathers.

Sorry; I know waiting is hard.

Back
Top Bottom