New chook house (with pics)

Coop looks great. I couldn't tell if you had any windows in it, to provide light? Was wondering about that? Will you have a secure pen attached, or will you free range? Anyway, you have done a very nice looking job on it.

We have one tinted sheet of skylight that covers one third of the roof on the east side. And smaller skylight "windows" on north and south sides. The beauty of using the iron is that if we find we need more light or air we can cut a hole and put a frame and window in!

The tree in front of the house is leaved through Summer and we hoping that will stop the house getting too hot. The high roof we also hope will allow the circulation of air and keep it cool in Summer.

The chooks are free ranging at the moment but we plan to fence off a couple of runs, allowing one area to rest.

Thanks for looking at the pics. We call it the "Taj Mahal" of chooksheds.

Cheers,

Yoz

Awesome coop!
big_smile.png

Rock On!Love the watering thingycabobba!Prob wouldnt fair well in NewEngland in the winter,unless you ran it insulated under the ground with radiant heat plumbing!Lol,yeah I know,get real!
smile.png

Is sawdust good for the floor of the coop? We have an aviary type coop and just put dirt on the ground. I am open to other suggestions and would love to find the best/healthiest ground cover for the girls (and one boy).

Quote:
Saw dust is excellent as it absorbs any moisture, insulates and is easy to clean when dirty. It is good for the garden, when you are cleaning out the house, and replacing with clean saw dust.

However, Some types of cedars produce toxic saw dust so avoid them.

Cheers,

Yoz

Nice coop, good design, and excellent use of recycled materials !

I am concerned about a few things though:
-I didn't see any ventilation holes.
-Does it get very hot where you are ? Metal coops (actually wood too) can turn into ovens without plenty of ventilation. When you lock your birds up at night, the heat will still be there.
-Sawdust is very fine and could cause respiratory problems. Do you have access to pine shavings ?
-Do you have locks on the outside doors of your nest boxes ? Opossums and raccoons can climb and open the nest box lids for access too.
-Great idea for a waterer, but the chickens may perch on the sides and dirty the water

Back
Top Bottom