New chook house (with pics)

Yoz

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
Hi

This is our first post, but we read many posts getting ideas for our chook shed. We have 6 chooks but getting ready to add another 4 soon.

The frame
DSC00259.jpg

The roof. You can see the laserlite on one side.
DSC00265.jpg

The floorboards
DSC00261.jpg

The outside of the house finished (except for the nesting boxes). They were put in later to the right of the door.
chookshed033.jpg

The ramp out the back for the chooks. The hatch is a sliding door opened by cables.
chookshed026.jpg

Cheers,

Yoz

Me again.

Here are some photos inside the house.

The lovely ladies and their perch
chookshed034.jpg

The food and water (the food container was later moved over abit)
chookshed018.jpg

The nesting boxes from inside the house
DSC00300.jpg

The nesting boxes from outside the house
DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

Thanks for indulging me!

Yoz

that is a fantastic coop, very neat and organized...where did that waterer come from? I would like to get one of those myself. Your birds look great too...they look like they are already laying age!

Great job on the coop!

That is a fabulous set up! I think the waterer is either an equine or swine waterer you can buy at horse supply stores! It has a valve to hook up a water hose to it so you do not have to refill! Can't use it up North in an unheated coop though...man that would be nice if I owned a BARN! Next time!
Great Job...post these on your BYC website!

Hi

The chickens are of varying ages up to 2 years. When we moved into our house, we inherited my first chook and i have enjoyed choosing new ones of various breeds and colours.

The original shed was leaky, not comfortable and needed replacing. The water holder was part of the original. Eventually, we will have it connected to the water tank and it will refill as needed. (The float turns the water off when the bowl is full).

The house was made from majority recycled materials. The walls and roof are made of corrugated iron that used to be the roof of an outside BBQ area structure. The majority of the wood used to be part of the BBQ area structure or my husband's parents house (that they renovated). The big door came from the in-laws too. The nesting boxes were made from excess wood at my husband's work. The paints for the boxes and oil for the floor were ones we had here already.

The floor is 2metres by 3 metres. The walls at the sides are 1.2 metres high. And the peak height is about 2.7 metres high.

We don't get temperatures so low here that we have to heat the house. We have foxes as predators, but pretty sure that they can't get in. We put "space invader" in any gaps to keep out mice. We were also getting possums eating the food at night, and they are also locked out which should make the food last longer!

The chickens took a little while to acclimatise but seem much happier and healthier now. We are just coming out of Winter (in Australia) and they have begun laying again, and we are getting 2 or 3 eggs a day. We were getting 5 or 6 before Winter and i think we will get back to that soon. Friends and family love our "Happy Chicken Eggs"!

Cheers,

Yoz

Back
Top Bottom