New cockatiel

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi! I bought a lovely white Cockatiel yesterday. It us about 7 months old. It was hand raised and doesnt seem to attack, but it is very afraid of us! I took it out of the cage and it showed some trust, and also rubbed his vent on my hand as it stands on my hand!!! Btw does it mean it is a MALE ??
When I put it back in the cage, it took a few steps away from my hand.
Also, it didnt eat since it arrived. Maybe it ate when I wasnt around ..?

Would like ti get your help. Thanks!

Hi! I bought a lovely white Cockatiel yesterday. It us about 7 months old. It was hand raised and doesnt seem to attack, but it is very afraid of us! I took it out of the cage and it showed some trust, and also rubbed his vent on my hand as it stands on my hand!!! Btw does it mean it is a MALE ??
When I put it back in the cage, it took a few steps away from my hand.
Also, it didnt eat since it arrived. Maybe it ate when I wasnt around ..?

Would like ti get your help. Thanks!
Yes, it's a male coming into being sexually mature. You can either ignore it or try get him to stop doing it by just moving him off and petting him if you can. It shouldn't last for more than a couple of weeks.

He's probably a bit stressed upon having a new home so thus why he's not eating much but I'm sure he'll eat when he gets very hungry.

Yes, it's a male coming into being sexually mature. You can either ignore it or try get him to stop doing it by just moving him off and petting him if you can. It shouldn't last for more than a couple of weeks.

He's probably a bit stressed upon having a new home so thus why he's not eating much but I'm sure he'll eat when he gets very hungry.
Thank you!
Is there no way its a female??

Make sure the food you have available is plentiful, easy to access, and preferably is the same thing he was eating at his old home. Keep an eye on him and make sure he does eat as birds have a fast metabolism and can starve quickly, sometimes out of pickiness.
As far as the hormonal behavior, or at least that's what it sounds like, take steps to reduce it such as appropriate diet, proper lighting, and not providing nest-like spaces.

Back
Top Bottom