New cockatiel

It still took her a bit to trust me. The first two weeks were the hardest, i just sat next to her cage every chance i could and read, talked to her, put yummy treats in her bowl and slowly built up trust. She still doesn't trust me 100% but that's ok i know it takes time.. Her breeder did an excellent job hand raising/hand feeding her. Is yours a little hand raised? It will take patience and time, figure a few months ...

Doubt that he was hand raised.
I do see an improvement compare to day 1: now he wants to eat millet spray when I stick it close to him (but not when it's on my palm). Slowly but surely I guess.

Yep it's just gonna take time. I would sit next to cage and read books, magazines,just sit there so he gets used to you, i still do that now even though she is trusting me more- and treats really help too

Tonight its chicken

Cockatiel was SUCH a good choice! I had a cockatiel once named Grey. He died and we don't know why... :( So sad. He would sit on my finger, and we taught him how to say "Pretty bird." He loved having his head scratched, and if he wanted you to scratch his head, he would rest his head on my finger and stay there until we pet him.

What a lucky bird! I need to find a larger cage for my conure, does anyone know any online websites that sell cages for a relatively inexpensive price. The cage he has now is suitable but I want to get him a flight cage he can be in outside (in my patio) during the summer. Id like him to get some fresh air and sunlight.

The F0404 was just on sale in a link in the cockatiel forum I'm on. Apparently amazon is having some great deals right now. I have a flight cage i got for $25 from a neighbor once that is ready she wl go on that as its. 23 inches wide not 18..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom