New cockerels will layer feed harm them?

Gonzalezfam

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
Washington
I was given these beautiful French black copper marans today but don’t have all flock! They will be quarantined for about two weeks they look great so far no live mites or such are vaccinated for mareks, i only have scratch mealworms and layer pellets plus other grains, will layer pellets harm them until I get all flock?They are 3 an 4 months old.

CluckerFamily

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
I know some people feed everyone in their flock layer feed while others refuse to do this and will feed them all flock. I think the layer feed if feed for a long time can cause health issues later on.
I personally would use the layer feed but also provide other things if I had it, greens, scrambled eggs, etc. until I could get the all flock.

Silkielee

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I was given these beautiful French black copper marans today but don’t have all flock! They will be quarantined for about two weeks they look great so far no live mites or such are vaccinated for mareks, i only have scratch mealworms and layer pellets plus other grains, will layer pellets harm them until I get all flock?They are 3 an 4 months old.
How long will they be eating layer pellets? I think the concern is the excess calcium in the layer feed for cockerels/ roosters. Maybe you could supplement the layer feed with the mealworms/grains/fruits and veg so they don't eat so much of the layer feed if you like. Mealworms are a great source of protein for them and I'm sure they would love them!
I think some people feed there flocks incl cockerels/ roos layer feed all the time and haven't had a problem. I use to feed layer pellets but changed to grower feed after I read up its not so good for the boys. Then just have shells on the side for the layers.

Top Bottom