New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!! Everyone has really great pics!! I wish they would recognize some of these other colors soon! I have 3 Ameraucana hens and 1 Ameraucana rooster right now, but I plan on getting more Ameraucana hens soon!!
D.gif
I have always loved the breed!!!

This one is an ameraucana hen that I think looks a lot like the silver female, but she is crossed with a lavender. Sorry about the pic, I had her separated for awhile because she had been beat up pretty bad by some other chickens before I got her, so her crest and around her eyes was really inflamed. She is much better now though!
big_smile.png

16izc60.jpg

Last edited:
This one looks very similar to one someone posted earlier in this forum. I love this color, she is one of my favorites!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Is this sort of what you are trying to obtain as far as a red pyle??

255hzpy.jpg
2nqgldz.jpg

26246k7.jpg

Last edited:
John Blehm has some nice birds. I bought twelve in the spring. Nice colors. I have one lavender banty rooster that is so tame.

That is what is so stupid about this!! The APA calls my two birds "Easter eggers" because they are not a recognized color, yet their parents are both true Ameraucanas. What on earth makes sense about that?? In EVERY other species and breed of animal it doesn't work that way!!!! If you breed a Red AKC registered Doberman Pinscher to a black AKC registered Doberman Pinscher, ALL THE PUPPIES CAN BE REGISTERED AS AKC DOBERMANS!! Even if any of their offspring come out fawn or blue (which are not standard colors recognized by the AKC), they can still be registered because their bloodline PROVES THEY ARE PUREBRED!!!! So why is it any different with Americaunas???? It is stupid! Just because when I bought my Americaunas (from a breeder listed with ameraucana.org by the way) I ordered a variety of colors and therefore, my offspring hatchlings are of mixed colors. Does any one else see their regulations and "standards" as absolutely ridiculous???? I spent a lot of money buying "purebred, true" Ameraucanas and now they are going to tell me that my offspring are worthless mutts??? What makes sense about that??!!! How can you breed 2 "true" standard, purebred Ameraucanas and end up with mutt offspring?? It doesn't make sense does it!!!??
somad.gif
he.gif
smack.gif

I can not agree more with you, Ameraucan chick. The APA does not call your birds Easter Eggers, "the club" does. No where in the APA standard of 2001 do they use the term Easter Egger. The disqualifications for Ameraucans listed on page 193 are "presents of ear tuffs, absence of beard and muffs." I also do not understand why this breed is different then all of the other chicken breeds. If in the Orpingtons you are working on a different color they are still refered to as Orpingtons not a different breed. I always think of an Easter Egger as a 1/2 Ameraucan and 1/2 of something else. Then you would have a mixed chicken. It would be interesting to know why the Ameraucan Club calls all the non standard colors Easter Eggers???? Hopefully one of them will come back and clear that up for everyone.
Sharon

Quote:
This stuff can all be confusing, I know. Here is some added info that may help clarify:

~ Incorrect color pattern can make even a purebred dog disqualified from showing, though they can still be registered. I had a friend who had an Aussie that had too much white on her so wasn't able to be shown.

~ If you cross 2 color varieties that are not compatible in ANY chicken breed, the offspring are disqualified at shows if their color or other characteristics therefore do not meet the required standards listed in the APA or ABA poultry standards books.

~ An Ameraucana that meets all of the breed's standards except color pattern may be shown as an Ameraucana, just in the "All Other Varieties" Ameraucana color variety. However, the color pattern of the bird's offspring must breed true at least 50% of the time. This requirement helps maintain the goal of having show chickens pass on and preserve predictable, reliable characteristics.
* The purpose of the "All Other Varieties" color subcategory is for quality birds to be able to be shown while breeders of a new color are still working on raising enough chickens in that color for the new variety to be recognized as one of the official color varieties.

~ Unlike dogs, chickens are not qualified by their pedigree. The pedigree isn't known for most show chickens--other than possibly the parents and often the breeder whose breeding stock a chicken came from.

~ There aren't any registries for chickens. The only distinctions made are whether they meet breed standards (as specified by the APA or ABA) or not. At APA and ABA sponsored shows, judges who have passed certification exams examine entered birds and disqualify any that don't meet the prescribed standards.

~ A chicken breeder will often cross into his breeding line a bird from another breed that has characteristics he thinks will improve his main chicken breed. He then breeds the offspring selectively to reinforce the new, desired traits and eliminate any disqualifying traits that were introduced. In some cases, the first generation offspring could possibly even meet the main breed standards and be able to be shown.

Last edited:
Quote:
This stuff can all be confusing, I know. Here is some added info that may help clarify:

~ Incorrect color pattern can make even a purebred dog disqualified from showing, though they can still be registered. I had a friend who had an Aussie that had too much white on her so wasn't able to be shown.

~ If you cross 2 color varieties that are not compatible in ANY chicken breed, the offspring are disqualified at shows if their color or other characteristics therefore do not meet the required standards listed in the APA or ABA poultry standards books.

~ Unlike dogs, chickens are not qualified by their pedigree. The pedigree isn't known for most show chickens--other than possibly the parents and often the breeder whose breeding stock a chicken came from.

~ There aren't any registries for chickens. The only distinctions made are whether they meet breed standards (as specified by the APA or ABA) or not. At APA and ABA sponsored shows, judges who have passed certification exams examine entered birds and disqualify any that don't meet the prescribed standards.

~ A chicken breeder will often cross into his breeding line a bird from another breed that has characteristics he thinks will improve his main chicken breed. He then breeds the offspring selectively to reinforce the new, desired traits and eliminate any disqualifying traits that were introduced. In some cases, the first generation offspring could possibly even meet the main breed standards and be able to be shown.

But as in your friends case, her Aussie is still an Aussie, correct? In the Ameraucana world that is not true, her Aussie would now be a mutt, that is the difference as I see it.
Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom