New Color Varieties of Ameraucana......pictures from breeding projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thank You for this i have been wondering for a long time how there could be EE and Ameraucana i had thought they were the same chicken ..*Thanks*..

The president of the APA and the vice-president of the ABA have written & let me know that the APA and ABA do not recognize the AOV class--only individual shows or breed clubs do.

From looking around the net, it seems there can be a number of related classifications used at a show (some of which actually can cover APA and ABA recognized varieties):

All Other Varieties:

Any Other Variety:

All Other Colors:

Any Color, Self:

Any Color, Marked:

I'm short of time right now, but will try to come back later & edit this post to include definitions of these as I understand them.

pips&peeps :

I think this is a key point. Why should any of us non-club members follow the rules of that club? The APA does not disqualify ameraucanas because of color. It doesn't even state they must have a blue egg (no disqualification). In fact, no ameraucana has a true blue egg. The shade is somewhere between blue and green on all of them. Look at the border on this page. That is blue. Look at the bluest of eggs and they are far less blue than even that of a robin's egg. A few people get together, form a club, make some rules and we're all expected to follow them? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

It does work that way.

Any bird that does not conform to the written APA color standard for that variety should be disqualified according to the rules set forth. If you check your APA Standard of Perfection there is a page that goes over DQ's for foreign color.

The term AOV does not include any old bird that does not conform to the accepted colors written in the standard. It is to allow for new colors that are being developed. Like lavender, splash or maybe even partridge. It is not a "catch all" for odd colored birds.

You can have your opinion and members of the Ameraucana Breeders Club have theirs too. Remember the club members are the people who developed this bird and worked so hard many years ago to get it recognized with the APA. When questions arise about changing standards, the APA is going to poll the Ameraucana Breeders Club about their suggestions, not anyone else. They alone will have final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't.​

I 100% disagree that this club has the lone and final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't. That is just what this club says but just because this club says so us none club members have the same say so and they are a lot more of us. I have received eggs from of few of this club members birds including yours and I guess your birds are not ameraucana's but they are just EEers because the eggs were not true blue as the standard calls for.Most had a green tint to them.​

Standard-bred chickens have to have characteristics that breed true.

Only 50% of the time according to the APA

It is to allow for new colors that are being developed. Like lavender, splash or maybe even partridge.

If a project bird is bred from pure Ameraucana birds what is the project bird? Ameraucana or not?

Steve in NC​

Quote:
It does work that way.

Any bird that does not conform to the written APA color standard for that variety should be disqualified according to the rules set forth. If you check your APA Standard of Perfection there is a page that goes over DQ's for foreign color.

The term AOV does not include any old bird that does not conform to the accepted colors written in the standard. It is to allow for new colors that are being developed. Like lavender, splash or maybe even partridge. It is not a "catch all" for odd colored birds.

You can have your opinion and members of the Ameraucana Breeders Club have theirs too. Remember the club members are the people who developed this bird and worked so hard many years ago to get it recognized with the APA. When questions arise about changing standards, the APA is going to poll the Ameraucana Breeders Club about their suggestions, not anyone else. They alone will have final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't.

I 100% disagree that this club has the lone and final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't. That is just what this club says but just because this club says so us none club members have the same say so and they are a lot more of us. I have received eggs from of few of this club members birds including yours and I guess your birds are not ameraucana's but they are just EEers because the eggs were not true blue as the standard calls for.Most had a green tint to them.

James, what's with the personal attacks against me lately? I think you need to have a time out.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
I 100% disagree that this club has the lone and final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't. That is just what this club says but just because this club says so us none club members have the same say so and they are a lot more of us. I have received eggs from of few of this club members birds including yours and I guess your birds are not ameraucana's but they are just EEers because the eggs were not true blue as the standard calls for.Most had a green tint to them.

James, what's with the personal attacks against me lately? I think you need to have a time out.​

I am not attacking you just posting comments about my beliefs on this thread.I do believe you are the one that has personally attacked my birds.

Quote:

It is to allow for new colors that are being developed. Like lavender, splash or maybe even partridge.

If a project bird is bred from pure Ameraucana birds what is the project bird? Ameraucana or not?

Steve in NC​

My personal opinion on that it is: It depends on who you sell them to.

Do they know what an ameraucana is? Do they anything about breeding? Do they want to show?

pips&peeps :

Quote:

Steve in NC

My personal opinion on that it is: It depends on who you sell them to.

Do they know what an ameraucana is? Do they anything about breeding? Do they want to show?​

I don't see what difference it would make if you sell them, breed them or feed them to your dog

If a pure breed Ameraucana of one color is bred to a pure breed Ameraucana of another color what is the offspring? Ameraucana?

I'm not trying to be a PIA just looking for a straight answer

Steve in NC​

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

I thought that just disqualified them in that color class. I didn't know it disqualified them from being shown as an ameraucana

So, you're saying that there is an official list of developing varieties, that must be applied for or it can't be shown in that class?

You can have your opinion and members of the Ameraucana Breeders Club have theirs too. Remember the club members are the people who developed this bird and worked so hard many years ago to get it recognized with the APA. When questions arise about changing standards, the APA is going to poll the Ameraucana Breeders Club about their suggestions, not anyone else. They alone will have final decision on what an ameraucana is or isn't.

Who's decision is it, the APA or the club's? I hope you're not suggesting the APA would use this one club's suggestions regardless of what they were and that they would summarily disregard any suggestion non-club members gave them, no matter what.​

Last edited:
Other Ameraucana breeders don't share your view, they are calling their project birds Ameraucana's. Where did the name EE come from?

Everyone does things differently, and unfortunately it's not always right. If they are selling them as Project Ameraucans, I don't have a problem with it, as long as they explain that exactly what that means, and that they are culls and are non-standard colors.

It's pretty frustrating when a hatchery or even another breeder you know is selling EE's as Ameraucanas left and right. I've tried to explain to people that a bird I was selling was an EE and why, and then had them tell me that they only wanted "pure Ameraucanas like they got from the hatchery"!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom