New computer fan barely blowing air.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Nov 20, 2010.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I had a great computer fan for my incubator and it blew air really good. Well the wire going into the fan broke so i had to buy a new fan. The fan I got may be a lil bigger, But I wired the thing the same as the other and it is barely blowing air. I mean you can barely feel it. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Yea disconnect it...don't even use it that happened to me and it made my incubator spike all over the place hatched 8 out of 10 eggs just doing it still air. How far are you into the incubations?

3. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I haven't started incubating eggs yet. I'm only doing a test run on it. I just built the incubator out of an ice chest, and the temp up where my egg tray is 5 degrees higher than the temp on the bottom. Trying to balance my temp before I put eggs in.

4. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Check the label on each fan and see if the amps and voltage are the same for each fan. It sounds like your new fan might need a little more juice.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yea, big fans need more amps so ya ether need one the same as the old one or a bigger power supply. You can also wire a fan backwards an some will run but slower. But no way I would advise going with "still air" if you have any other option.

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    9-12VDC work best. If you use 5V or lower, the fan will move much slower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by