New, Confused but loving it.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggomaniac, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Eggomaniac

Eggomaniac New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hey all,
    Well my daughter's class hatched some chicks and I agreed to let her bring one home......well it did not work out quite like that [​IMG]
    Anyway. The first 2 she brought home were two Dominiques according to the far that donated the eggs. Well after reading as much as I can I am not so sure.

I have found very little images of young chickens. Most are cute chicks and full grown. So please what are these?
    Added bonus for what sex they are although I have a sneaking suspicion at least one is a roo?

Suspect 1 at 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suspect 2 at 6 weeks (slower developer)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and as things often go. Things happen and daughter brings another. These 2 are mixed from a private flock so I have no idea what these "mutts" will become.

Bonus round:

2 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on keeping one Roster and finding homes for any other. So far I have had a blast learning everything I can and building my coop.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken addiction! And also to the forum! That first chick looks like a roo to me. I'm not sure of the breed, I'm kinda new to this too!

They are sure some cute babies! [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Dominiques have a special comb... I have no idea what it's called... maybe flat?? I'd say those are likely Barred Plymouth Rocks. Cute chickies [​IMG]

Dominiques

Barred Rocks

And....

[​IMG]

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I was thinking Barred Rock too and also roo on suspect 1 and hen on suspect 2.

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Round 2, black one - maybe a Black Minorcan? Mine don't seem that dark in the leg though, but what else has the black legs?

Still learning here too. Enjoy!

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The first 2 are barred rocks, they have a single comb.

Dominiques have rose combs.

They also look like they are cockerals.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, the first two are cockerels, but the second does not appear to be a purebred at all, but probably was sired by a Barred Rock rooster since he has lots of ghosty-looking barring.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    So THAT's a rose comb [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by