New Confusion Begins

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
All of Numi's keets went to a new home yesterday. I was kind of dreading that. I was ready for them to go, but -
When I sold the remaining of Mama's keets last year, I swear that hen went into a funk that lasted until this spring. Mb it was the trauma they went through beforehand & losing her mate, or bcit was her 1st hatch and she was older, but she moped, was quiet. She snapped out of it when she hooked up w/Mia this past spring.
So I was worried abt how Numi wld react. She had been good with the 7 I added until hers hatched. From that point on, I basically had 2 flocks that stayed separate from each other, and she was fiercely protective.
They were all stressed out and calling last night, and then quietly all went into the old coop together.🤷‍♀️ THAT was new.
This morning they were all waiting for me and it was the 1st time they all got to come out of the run together.
Willow & Mockie still dart in and out of the fray & get chased 1/2 heartedly by everyone, Numi &/or one of the jumbos call, and the 7 come running.
I'm not sure if she just substituted the 7 for her own or accepted them bc they no longer pose a threat, but she's chilled out and today is the 1st day the 10 have actually acted as one unit since I put them together; dustbathing and running about chasing grasshoppers and whatever they find to munch on.
For me, it was the 1st time I got to sit and be with them all at once w/o being busy protecting someone or chasing a stray keet, and realize I have a whole new flock. That was a bittersweet realization. I'll always remember & miss "The Crew", especially my "Boys". I'd rather forget the bad stuff. Still have my eye on the Killing Field, and would rather let the hens handle the hatching. But it was nice to just sit with them, have them eat from my hand and start slowly gaining their trust.
Sorry, I know this is mushy. Where else am I going to gush abt guineas? Keeping keets alive and everyone comfortable in the summer is a lot of work. Autumn is here, and now I can just enjoy them - and have a chat with Numi abt her choice of mates!

All of Numi's keets went to a new home yesterday. I was kind of dreading that. I was ready for them to go, but -
When I sold the remaining of Mama's keets last year, I swear that hen went into a funk that lasted until this spring. Mb it was the trauma they went through beforehand & losing her mate, or bcit was her 1st hatch and she was older, but she moped, was quiet. She snapped out of it when she hooked up w/Mia this past spring.
So I was worried abt how Numi wld react. She had been good with the 7 I added until hers hatched. From that point on, I basically had 2 flocks that stayed separate from each other, and she was fiercely protective.
They were all stressed out and calling last night, and then quietly all went into the old coop together.🤷‍♀️ THAT was new.
This morning they were all waiting for me and it was the 1st time they all got to come out of the run together.
Willow & Mockie still dart in and out of the fray & get chased 1/2 heartedly by everyone, Numi &/or one of the jumbos call, and the 7 come running.
I'm not sure if she just substituted the 7 for her own or accepted them bc they no longer pose a threat, but she's chilled out and today is the 1st day the 10 have actually acted as one unit since I put them together; dustbathing and running about chasing grasshoppers and whatever they find to munch on.
For me, it was the 1st time I got to sit and be with them all at once w/o being busy protecting someone or chasing a stray keet, and realize I have a whole new flock. That was a bittersweet realization. I'll always remember & miss "The Crew", especially my "Boys". I'd rather forget the bad stuff. Still have my eye on the Killing Field, and would rather let the hens handle the hatching. But it was nice to just sit with them, have them eat from my hand and start slowly gaining their trust.
Sorry, I know this is mushy. Where else am I going to gush abt guineas? Keeping keets alive and everyone comfortable in the summer is a lot of work. Autumn is here, and now I can just enjoy them - and have a chat with Numi abt her choice of mates!
Bittersweet that you were able to sell Numi’s babies! How did Numi deal with you catching and boxing those babies? Your new crew sounds like so much fun! I hope your autumn does indeed allow you to enjoy those fruits of your fall labors. I second the request for pics!!!

My fall is busy! I still have the 16 GF keets that survived the first week after shipping, plus the 2 I hatched. That’s 18 to add to the flock, which is no doubt too many, but I’m still reluctant to part with any. I’ve been diligently working on their new brooder for the coop, but they are growing so fast that it won’t keep them happy for long!

Bittersweet that you were able to sell Numi’s babies! How did Numi deal with you catching and boxing those babies? Your new crew sounds like so much fun! I hope your autumn does indeed allow you to enjoy those fruits of your fall labors. I second the request for pics!!!

My fall is busy! I still have the 16 GF keets that survived the first week after shipping, plus the 2 I hatched. That’s 18 to add to the flock, which is no doubt too many, but I’m still reluctant to part with any. I’ve been diligently working on their new brooder for the coop, but they are growing so fast that it won’t keep them happy for long!
Everyone was a hot mess over the departure ! I was surprised by the uproar from the 7. I closed the keets in the back of the coop separate from everyone else to ready them to leave, but everyone else was squawking and head butting the fence. But once they were gone, it was like "whelp, thats over, may as well go to bed," and they all went to the old coop. :gig for the winter, anyway, looks like I have a new storage shed.🤦‍♀️
They got to come out and play today while I did some fall garden clean up. Maybe tomorrow I'll get pictures. Today was hard labor in between preschool runs, nap time and colossal meltdown.
There's always something new when I watch, though. Today Numi was intentionally picking fights with Mia, the male jumbo that dominated her keets. Not only was Zuri doing the goofy dive under the jumbos feet thing, but Brodie was doing it to Mia as well. I kind of wonder if it's their way of realigning who's Alpha, bc Mia & Mama were Alpha. But again, Numi, baby, the dude makes 2 of you!!
She doesn't seem at all stressed by missing keets; it's more like her childhood was interupted and now she's back at it.
Still watchful of my misfits though, I worry about their safety since they linger outside of the group. Willow tends to stay closer to me or wander back to the coop, but Mockie is a wanderer.
Eh, what's 18 more? :gig it's only taken ....4 years?.. but I'm finally up to @R2elk 's quota standard. After keeping track of those keets, only having to do a headcount on 10 is just fine! Lol

Called in reinforcements for fall clean up today. Screenshot_20220924_143434_Yahoo Mail.jpg Screenshot_20220924_143235_Yahoo Mail.jpg Screenshot_20220924_143418_Yahoo Mail.jpg
They were doing pretty good until a couple of slackers questioned my motives
Screenshot_20220924_143329_Yahoo Mail.jpg
From there it was a lost cause bc all they wanted to do was play.
Screenshot_20220924_143154_Yahoo Mail.jpg
I don't know how Mockie managed to stay out of focus of camera today, but she's in there..🤷‍♀️

Called in reinforcements for fall clean up today.View attachment 3270607View attachment 3270608View attachment 3270612
They were doing pretty good until a couple of slackers questioned my motives
View attachment 3270614
From there it was a lost cause bc all they wanted to do was play.
View attachment 3270615
I don't know how Mockie managed to stay out of focus of camera today, but she's in there..🤷‍♀️
Love your work crew!!! Makes me happy to see them all getting along so well! :love

Back
Top Bottom