New Coop and not laying

amandawv

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
we revamped our coup. Now are girls aren't laying as much and if/when the do lay it's just anywhere random. I have 1 using the nesting box and she's a new layer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have found in my flocks, that when I do something major to their coop(s) they take a while to get used to the change and adapt. It bothered me at first and I wondered as you what was up. But time has taught me to just wait it out, as long as they are getting enough to eat and calcium to make shells, eggs will follow. Chickens like change, about as much as my old worn bones do, the birds like routine and consistency in feeds, housing, and interaction from the care giver(s). Given these things, they should be little egg factories. Make sure all the basics are covered, a big enough roost, no drafts, no wet in the coop, enough ventilation and reasonable sanitation. I am assuming you are feeding a complete lay ration in quantities to meet their needs.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Edit: I just saw your post, are there a lot of feathers around? You could be in your first molt, which will put a damper on egg production.

Last edited:
Ditto the change can throw them for awhile and they may be molting.
Fake eggs in the nest box might help.....
...and....if you free range, you might need to confine them for a few days to 're-train' them to the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Good news!!! I went to collect my eggs and there were 6 in the new nesting box. Woo whoo

This is great… it is just a universal rule, feed in – eggs out. I'm very glad you got through the turmoil, it is unsettling to be sure. Thanks for posting the good news. I hope they do become little egg factories for you.

Best to you and your eggs,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom