New coop and runs in progress

BranndaidhCladdagh

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
Southern Delaware
I've been working very hard on my coop and runs. I have 6 Speckled Sussex Pullets, 6 Speckled Sussex cockrels (all but one bound for the freezer) and a pair of White Crested Black Polish. I raised all but the female Polish from chicks gotten in April. I recently got 4 RIR pullets and the female Polish. I recently relocated the cockrels to a separate pen and the 2 Polish to a another separate pen (the male was getting very picked on). I am still working on the coop for the Polish but the coop for the hens is set and the cockrel's pen is temporary. Luckily we don't have predator problems here, I live in a semi rural neighborhood with about an acre of land but we are on a main road so I don't want my chickens running free and getting out front. I haven't added the nesting boxes yet. I added a place for the Polish to roost after I took these pictures, you can't see the roosting pole and little section up in the main coop but the RIR's love it...the Sussex don't use it much. I will be fencing in my garden and letting the hens run the garden this fall and winter. The area where the coop and pens are is very shady and provides a lot of shelter, this is important since living in DE it gets pretty hot sometimes but our winters aren't that bad. I'll be closing the sides and door to the coop in when it gets really cold here.

This site has been a great help just being able to search when I have questions!

http://www.geocities.com/branndaidhcladdagh/ChickensApriltoJune.html

That is a very interesting coop!
Is the bottom story wire or glass?
And what does the top inside look like?

Looks great!
clap.gif

Quote:
Hi Alaskan,

Thanks! The bottom is all chicken wire and the front is a screen door so I can open the whole thing and go inside, it makes it easy to clean and get into when I need to. Inside, the upper story is a roosting pole and a platform for the chickens to hang out on at night. It gets really hot and muggy here so having the entire bottom open is good for ventilation. In the winter I will cover it with plywood that I am going to bolt on so I can take it off again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom