New coop being built...should we dust anything before we use it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flowerchild59, Jul 12, 2010.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    The coop frame is up now and I am trying to plan ahead for when the girls go into the coop for the first time.
    I was thinking about dusting DE all around and on the roosts and nest boxes before we put down bedding and stuff like that.
    Is that necessary or is there anything else we should do?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I wouldn't put anything out until it's needed.
    Once DE gets wet, it's useless, and the dust is harmful to breath

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    When our coop was ready for the girls I dusted the floor with DE,then put in a layer of shavings.Now I simply lightly dust the roosts once a week or so and lightly(very very lightly) dust the bedding when fresh shavings are added. We still have plenty of flies(fly strips help wonders) but I've never seen any fly larvae or the like in the bedding(deep litter method not changed in over two months now) and we have very little odor from the coop. I also walk around the run dusting the wet poop piles a couple of times a week to keep down the fly/larvae mess. With the coop only a few feet from the house this method seems to work well in the 90* plus Kentucky summer heat.

Larry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by