New Coop - concrete run

The coop design shows a roof over the run which I had thought sufficient to keep it dry, unless you have driving sideways rain.
I'm in Florida so we get a ton of rain and we don't have concrete, but we still choose sand because it dries faster than more absorbent substrates. Personally I love the idea of deep litter and compost, but in our climate with constant humidity the results have been a moldy buggy mess. 3KillerBs is totally right that climate is important to consider.

To prevent any kind of litter you choose from becoming waterlogged from a fierce storm, you can find grating or fine mesh to install in select areas within your borders.
Most modern built concrete pads are graded for drainage. Is yours and do you know which way it slopes?

I used hemp bedding on my concrete pad from a covered dog run I converted to chicken run/covered protection. It looks as good today as when I got it las summer. Even after our wet winter and spring. I was going to post the link to purchase it but it is currently unavailable. I love it and would highly recommend it

Back
Top Bottom