New Coop - concrete run

Sus_

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Bay Area - California
Hi All,
New chicken parent here. We began building our backyard coop and it looks great so far! However the run and coop we made over a concrete area in our yard as we just didn't have any other great spot big enough. I need advice on how we would keep the run clean, bedding etc. My husband used plans from this video
. We are almost done and the run isn't attached yet so we still have time to modify it. Our 3 Black Copper Marans are given free range all day in the yard, we really will only use the run for evening or when we are on a trip, otherwise the yard is really their play area. I need some advice on a recommendation for easiest cleaning method, what to put on top of the concrete and how to make sure the flies don't overwhelm us. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_193543663.jpg
    PXL_20220609_193543663.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20220609_193508837.jpg
    PXL_20220609_193508837.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 16
Concrete seems like a somewhat unforgiving surface, so I'd suggest adding interlocking rubber stall mats, used in horse stalls, as an overlay. Interlocking is the key, since they won't curl up as easily as just the straight cut ones. Mats are black and can get hot in direct sun, though. They also make interlocking rubber pavers which might look nicer. This might be a place to look: www.farmtek.com On top of that you can add organic material or shavings or something for them to scratch in. Also, will you be adding a hardware cloth apron around the entire base of the coop/run? Something else to think about.

Simply put down a several inch layer of organic material on ground and replace as necessary when it gets soiled - shavings, leaves, straw, arborist mulch, pellets, etc. Over concrete it's super easy to scoop material off it with a wide flat-head shovel, such as a snow shovel.
Thanks do think the wood around the bottom of the base would need to have a plastic layer or something to keep the legs from rotting with organic material around it?

Concrete is awesome because it allows you to use the very best substrate... sand!
If I had a concrete run, after doing a happy dance, I'd put in a border like that rubber/plastic stuff they use in landscaping, or wood boards, or more concrete, etc... at least a foot or more high.
Then 3-6 inches of sand.
The sand helps desiccate the poop. Dried poop not only doesn't smell, it doesn't attract flies. Most parasites have trouble staying alive in a (dry) sand desert.
Sand also makes it easier to use something like a rake or giant kitty litter scoop to remove poop and debris.
As a bonus, chickens don't complain about having a nice scritchy sandbath house.

Concrete is awesome because it allows you to use the very best substrate... sand!
If I had a concrete run, after doing a happy dance, I'd put in a border like that rubber/plastic stuff they use in landscaping, or wood boards, or more concrete, etc... at least a foot or more high.
Then 3-6 inches of sand.
The sand helps desiccate the poop. Dried poop not only doesn't smell, it doesn't attract flies. Most parasites have trouble staying alive in a (dry) sand desert.
Sand also makes it easier to use something like a rake or giant kitty litter scoop to remove poop and debris.
As a bonus, chickens don't complain about having a nice scritchy sandbath house.
Thanks! Good to know!

Concrete seems like a somewhat unforgiving surface, so I'd suggest adding interlocking rubber stall mats, used in horse stalls, as an overlay. Interlocking is the key, since they won't curl up as easily as just the straight cut ones. Mats are black and can get hot in direct sun, though. They also make interlocking rubber pavers which might look nicer. This might be a place to look: www.farmtek.com On top of that you can add organic material or shavings or something for them to scratch in. Also, will you be adding a hardware cloth apron around the entire base of the coop/run? Something else to think about.
Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't put a layer of hardware cloth under the run on the floor as it the wood sits directly on concrete. So only around the sides.

I would put a sort of bedding which was where I am still debating, I am thinking sand at this point though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't put a layer of hardware cloth under the run on the floor as it the wood sits directly on concrete. So only around the sides.

I would put a sort of bedding which was where I am still debating, I am thinking sand at this point though.

Most people who are happy with sand over the long term are in a dry climate. I've heard that parts of California have very distinct microclimates that can go from perpetual fog to desert in a short drive so it will matter which sort of area you're in.

No matter how diligently you scoop the poop, some poop dust will remain in the sand and then when it gets wet it will REEK.

Personally, I'm not only uninterested in the daily scooping of my chicken run, I'm a gardener who actively wants chicken-produced compost. :)

Most people who are happy with sand over the long term are in a dry climate. I've heard that parts of California have very distinct microclimates that can go from perpetual fog to desert in a short drive so it will matter which sort of area you're in.

No matter how diligently you scoop the poop, some poop dust will remain in the sand and then when it gets wet it will REEK.

Personally, I'm not only uninterested in the daily scooping of my chicken run, I'm a gardener who actively wants chicken-produced compost. :)
Hi thanks for the input, that is also my concern, we live in the south bay area in California so it is generally mild weather. It does rain sometimes (but we are forever in drought it seems like). The part of our yard where the coop is going to sit will get a decent amount of midday afternoon sun and probably be dry most of the time, but winter is another concern for rain and stinky run.. trying to figure out easy method for that.
We also garden heavily and have a veggie area and multiple fruit trees so fertilizer is definitely one aspect we will be using out of this.

Open to suggestions.

Hi thanks for the input, that is also my concern, we live in the south bay area in California so it is generally mild weather. It does rain sometimes (but we are forever in drought it seems like). The part of our yard where the coop is going to sit will get a decent amount of midday afternoon sun and probably be dry most of the time, but winter is another concern for rain and stinky run.. trying to figure out easy method for that.
We also garden heavily and have a veggie area and multiple fruit trees so fertilizer is definitely one aspect we will be using out of this.

Open to suggestions.

If you garden you should try a deep litter system, where the chickens create compost for you in the run.

You put down layers of dry organic material -- whatever is locally abundant and inexpensive -- and let it mix with the poop and compost in place as a cold composting system.

Alternately, you can manage it to put in bedding then take the soiled bedding out for use in hot composting system (chicken manure is too "hot" a manure to use directly on plants without composting).

Back
Top Bottom