New coop for Silkies

GregnLety

Crossing the Road
Oct 15, 2021
Somerville, TX
Going to start a coop for silkies only and hope to get a few more for breeding and possibly selling eggs later on. We have a white silkie rooster, a white hen and a buff hen. Have a 10x10x6 area for the coop. I think this is big enough to have an elevated brooder in addition to nesting, roofing and exercise/play area for when they can't free range. Later I'll build an adjoining run about 10x10. The coop will be open on the east facing side from about waist high up with soffit vent covers down low to funnel the summer breeze. In central Texas there's a prevalent breeze from the southeast. The south and west walls will provide protection from the afternoon sun. The north side adjoins our duck coop and provides protection from the winter wind. I have electricity available so I will install a thermostat controlled exhaust fan for the brutal summer days. Hope to start tomorrow and want to get the roof and west wall up. Pictures to come as we progress.

20220205_133859.jpg
The new coop will be alongside the duck coop. Work is postponed due to the wife having the flu but hopefully I can at least tear down the garden bed and finish the frame this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom