New Coop from Amazon

dnrweaver

Hatching
Jan 6, 2024
I just bought my coop and built it today I need to predator-proof it what is the cheapest and easiest way to predator-proof the base?

Probably the best predator proofer for the base is a hardware cloth predator apron, but it's not the most cost effective. However, there are always uses for hardware cloth. I have found it worth the cost. I have also done wood garden planters around the perimeter of a coop, pretty and useful.

Definitely go with 1/2" hardware cloth. We ran ours over all openings on the sides and completely underneath our coop & run to keep out the many determined predators we know are lurking nearby - especially raccoons! (Also covered the top of the secure run as the predators can climb or fly in to get the chickens.)

Raccoons are excellent at opening slide-bolt locks and latches, too, so we secure ours with carabiners. So far, they haven't managed to manipulate those with their too-clever little hands!

I also wanted to keep the pullets from accidentally digging under the run sides - they really love to excavate fairly deep holes!

Photos of what you're working with would help (the coop and the spot it sits on) as well as the types of predators you're trying to exclude. Generally a hardware cloth apron is advised to prevent dig ins, and assuming you did not change out the latches then replacing the default latches in most cases is advisable to deter raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom