new coop-keeper here! advice needed about shelless eggs please!

urbannarnia27

Chirping
5 Years
I just got back from the chicken yard and noticed 2 small shelless eggs in the coop- one in a nesting box and the other behind the biggest roost. We have 3 - 4 month easter eggers. Everyone gets oyster shell, chicken scratch and laying pellets. I've noticed the little ones are starting to peck at the pellets but still have access to the chick crumble. We also have an olive egger who is 6 months old and has a twisted beak. She hasn't laid as far as we know but she does her best to pick at oyster shell (if I want her to eat the pellets I have to soak them in warm water; quite the ordeal...so she gorges on the crumble) Would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Am concerned (from what I've read on here) that if I don't catch these eggs (and I didn't) my girls will develop a taste for them (and they certainly were this morning!!)

In my experience, I would not worry about it. All soft shell eggs laid by newbies are devoured by my flock, but regular eggs are never touched.

Ct

You are welcome and I doubt it will lead to anything more sinister - just keep a close eye on them.

If repeatedly subjected to the stress of a cat trying to kill it, a mama mouse will kill and eat her own babies. This is natures way of keeping resources from going to waste. So is your hens eating soft shelled eggs.

In a more perfect world cross beaked chicks are better off if they are euphonized, however I realize that I will now catch grief for stating the obvious.

Here at BYC, as I'm sure you know, we have a broad spectrum of members. Some keep them as pets, others as a flock, with no particular regard for individuals. As long as due respect is shown across the board, there's no reason not to express ones attitude or philosophy, IMO, providing it is constructive and helps the OP..

Ct

Yes, understood. I do have a small flock who we care for like pets. We have a girl with a twisted beak who rides around on our shoulders and loves attention. We also have a girl who we nursed through a pretty bad leg injury and she also follows us around "adoringly" (and is doing well). My family gets a lot of joy from this hobby, but I can appreciate "special" birds would/could be a burden on some who raise chickens as a business. It this was our business, we'd have to sell the eggs for $15 a dozen...simply not feasible so we have made the choice to just enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom